itswillist

The dangers of constant chemical inhalation.

Question

So I've been washing a good bit of homes lately. But I must say when it comes to aplying the chemical and rinsing it off you can't help but get a lil. on you (or is it just me) anyway, even being concious of the wind and angles and what not. Anyway, doing this sort of thing all day everyday seems like eventually would catch up ???? Am I wrong ? Just wondering if any of you guys use the lil. ventilater deals when applying the chems ??? Do you use rain coats as well ?? I'm curious, It wasn't a concern of mine when I was only doing a few homes a week .. but now I'm around 10 homes a week .. I've always been a lil. health concious and I don't want my lungs to get mad at me for all of this .. Any advice ?

17 answers to this question

I'm sure it has its ill effects, I worried about the same thing. I did talk to my doctor and he said it shouldnt have an effect since its out side use. But I'm not sure he's an expert on it either

You can wear a respirator, but must dont

A respirator is a must. I was working on a house wash job and had some of the spray blow into my face by a change in the wind. I was using bleach in the solution to clean the top section of a 3 1/2 story chimney at the time and the wind was swirling due to it. By the time I got home, I was barely able to breathe, my body went into spasms and I was down for 3 days solid and about a week to fully recover after that.

It's not that I was inhaling directly but the residue on my face was causing the inhalation problem and the reaction. I was only exposed for about a 1/2 hour before I was able to get down and go wash my face but in that time it had gone subcutaneous by absorption and gotten into my blood stream.

The next piece of advice is to rinse any body part exposed to a chemical immediately. Your skin is like a two way highway into your blood stream with the face, hands and feet being the most susceptible to penetration.

I learned all this about 5 years ago and now PPE- Personal Protective Equipment is a regimen.

Rod!~

Some folks are more sensitive to bleach than others. If had a reaction like you Rod, I could not work at all. As to long-term effects, that is a concern, so I do try to minimize exposure. What I can say is that I get way fewer colds than I used to.

PPE is a definate must have. Respirators are not that expensive, and I am not willing to take the risk of losing my health and livelihood over saving twenty bucks and the 2 seconds it takes to to put one on.

Just making sure I wouldn't be the only guy out there wearing all this stuff. But yeah, It'd make me feel better at the end of the day (and my life) I'm going to get some protective clothing, respirator, and what not. Like I said, if it was only a few a week it would be questionable .. but doing 10 - 15 a week .. for years on in ... HMM ... Just don't want my kids to have 6 fingers .. ya know

This is coming from a guy that wears shorts spraying full strength HD-80 and has reached into a bucket of stripper to pull out a stirring rod. Wear a respirator. I was never bleach sensitive. I used to think guys that complained about it were wimps. I'm not Mr Macho it just never bothered me. Now, even when Chrisitne is in the kitchen using a bleach based cleaner I can feel a constriction in my throat. That is the body's physiological reaction to damage. It's done. I can't reverse it. I'm out of the field now a day late and a dollar short. Don't f' around, wear the protection.

Hoosierwindowtek here... :lgwave:

I'm new, but just wanted to share my .02

I used to do vehicle undercoating years ago and people would always complain about the odor. I myself couldn't smell the stuff anymore after some time, so I wondered why they made such a big deal about it. Nowadays, if I'm around a vehicle that's been recently undercoated,(I currently still do a lot of automotive window tinting) It smells really bad to me, too. I think what I had experienced was acclimation due to frequent exposure, and I regret not wearing a respirator.

Recently, I started doing pickup truck spray bedliners, and in researching that product learned that without proper protection, a person develops what's called sensitization which means your body gets MORE sensitive to the effects, not less. Overexposure to those chemicals can lead to permanent asthma, and even one case of asthma related death.

In short, it's always best to limit exposure to chemicals. Chlorine is used to purify water for drinking, and in limited amounts is helpfull and useful. However, it's obviously corrosive, and I don't think anyone wants to corrode the sensitive tissues in the eyes, throat, and lungs! :lgsick:

Sweet, Ant. When a homeowner bothers you for the tenth straight time you can just stare at them and breath.. haaaaaaaaaaa chiiiishhhhh haaaaaaaaaaa chiiiiishhhhh.

Or as an amusing alternate look them in the eye and say "La La La Luuuuke, I am your faaaatherrr"

Personally i dont wear a resperator when i clean or use bleach, doesnt really bother me. But i do put my resperator on when I seal. Which is 90% of what i do. And pressure pros... what kinda stripper did u put ur hand into?? lol Im Not sure if it was DADS brand... I doubt ud have skin on ur hand after that. I have scars on the back of my leg as we speak from it splashing out of the can onto my leg. Everyone else be careful if u ever use a chem stripper becuase its very very nasty stuff i know! lol

Cody, it was a bucket filled with 3 gallons of HD-80. I had running water right next to me so it wasn't any great feat. I have scars on my rear end when I thought one day that it would be faster using a backpakpack sprayer to apply so I feel your pain.

Been getting emulisfying strippers and degreasers on me for about 20 years and I can verify personally the delayed effects and sensitivity. The slightest amount of simple green type stuff to me and I get facial rash similar to exsima (sp?). Some strippers will go straight through you and if strong enough you can taste them with your tounge. Crazy stuff!!. Well these days I wear respirator inside with hearing protection while servicing floors. People look at me thinking what the heck and want to know where their gear is. I tell them don't worry I am in the firing zone all the time or boot them out.

I just received my sweet looking respirator today ... I hope it all works well, do you guys know of a glass type that doesn't get all oxidized when chems get on it ... ??? just curious for (for eyewear reasons)