Sign in to follow this  
Under Pressure AZ

What type of vehicle for trailering?

Question

12 answers to this question

Just remember that if you carry a water tank then the bigger the better applies. Also make sure that trailer has brakes on at least one axle if not both. I currently use a Ford F-350 with the diesel.

I would go with the strongest you can find and definatly a v8. You'll soon add more and more and you don't want to put to much of a strain on your truck. That's what I'm running into now. I have a Nissan Frontier crew cab that does great but when I add a water tank I'll be too close to my weight limit. As soon as it sells I'll be getting a new Tundra 5.7 liter with a 10,800 tow limit.

What size tandem and are you talking open or enclosed trailer??

S10 way to small. Enclosed you would need at least a 2500. I pulled a enclosed with a ram 1500 , had to replace tranny and you could feel the strain. Open you can get awy with a V8 1500, as long as you're not carrying a lot of water all the time

Good luck

I'm the odd one out , I have a 4' x 10' enclosed with my machine , 90 gallon water tank , hose reels , surface cleaner , extend a wand and chemicals and I tow with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. To me bigger was not better , compact and efficient was better. I get better mileage even compared to a diesel and it's much easier to get into tight job site's , very low impact on the neighborhood when I'm there.

Figure that a trailer with a 325 gallon tank will weigh in close to 6000 lbs. with a hot machine.

325 gallon tank 3250 lbs.

hot washer 800 lbs.

Chemicals 150 lbs. (Minimum)

Trailer 1500 lbs.

Hoses 175 lbs

Hose reels 50 lbs.

Miscellaneous 100 lbs.

total 5980 lbs.

I think you will find the F-150 a lot stronger than the 1500.

On all the construction sites Ford is #1.

The supers run GM's.

Nothin comes even close to an F-250/350 w 6.0 litre !

I have an open dual axle trailer and pull it with either a F-250 or Dodge 3500. The F-250 is a 3/4 ton truck and the Dodge 3500 is a 1 ton truck. You will definitely need the electric brakes on the trailer for those quick stops at unexpected times.

Barry