Sign in to follow this  
itswillist

12.5% SH quesiton...

Question

Hey fella's I've been using the normal bleach (w/ herbs and spices) in my chem. tank, I've been hearing about this "12.5% Sodium hyp." I was told it was basically pool shock. I went to the pool store and looked around and all they have is normal pool shock in the powder like 100% calcium hyp. stuff. They said they don't sell this 12.5% SH so my question is this:

Can you dilute pool shock and use it ? If so what is the ratio ? and where would one purchase the 12.5% SH ?

17 answers to this question

No, Pool Shock is not the same, and uses a different active ingredient. All you need is what they sell as "chlorine" at the pool store or any big box store in the pool sections. They definitely had it at the pool store, but could use a few more knowledgable salespeople.

So just buy chlorine powder ?? At what proportion should I use it ? I'm used to the house hold bleach at around 30% in my chem tank.. How many cups chlorine to gallons of water ???

Your like at 1.5% bleach after your first cut in tank. (before downstreaming or xjetting)

Surely there is better way to write it but for liquid 12%SH ya figure something like this:

b(12%) / t (tank size)= gp (per gal. %) , then take c (1.5% desired cleaning percentage) / gp= b gal. of bleach to add to tank

so for a 1.5% mix of 12% bleach in a 35 gal. tank it be such:

12/35=.3428571 , then 1.5/.3428571= 4.350005 gal.

....Hey folks, please forgive if this is wrong and there be a better way to figure. I don't know how to write equations.. I suck at math!! argghh

12/35=.3428571 , then 1.5/.3428571= 4.350005 gal.

please forgive if this is wrong and there be a better way to figure

Forgiven. It's right but there is an easier way. Follow my logic.

For your tank 12 / 35 = .3428571

Whenever you divide something by one, you can instead just flip over the fraction and multiply. Hence,

1 /.3428571 => 1/(12/35) => 35/12

This also means that all these are the same

1.5/.3428571 => 1.5/ (12/35) => 1.5 * (35/12)

Now, for PW chemistry 35/12 is close enough (2.92) to 3. So I'd just say that 1.5*3 = 4.5 gallons.

ahh, I'll have to print this one out and tack it on my wall so my girl friend will believe that my college degree and pressure washing do go hand in hand.... :) That sounds good, but my question is still: where can I buy 12.5% SH (liquid chlorine) if not at a pool store ??? Do you know of a place that I could order it from ??

_ I know normal household bleach is around 6% I want the 12.5% stuff...

John, I'v been told that pool stores here in SC have to carry expensive special permits to stock the 12.5%. I'd imagine that areas such as Florida, where there's a ton more pools, move more of the 12.5% so they can afford the permit - if there is any. That being said you can find 12.5% at most any industrial/janitorial chemical supply. Look in the phone book, call around - somebody will carry it. Univar may have a distribution center near you, you can check on their website.

I know normal household bleach is around 6% I want the 12.5% stuff...

Household bleach is 5.25% if you're real lucky... Some no-name shelf brands are 3% at the factory and it's downhill from there.

ahh, I'll have to print this one out and tack it on my wall so my girl friend will believe that my college degree and pressure washing do go hand in hand.... :) That sounds good, but my question is still: where can I buy 12.5% SH (liquid chlorine) if not at a pool store ??? Do you know of a place that I could order it from ??

_ I know normal household bleach is around 6% I want the 12.5% stuff...

You have a Univar Chemical Distributor in Geismar which is just outside of Baton Rouge.

Here is their info...

Geismar Distribution Facility ecblank.gifLocation Name:

Geismar

SPACER.GIFecblank.gifLocation Phone:

(225) 473-1921

SPACER.GIF

Location Fax:

(225) 473-4442

SPACER.GIF

Location C of A Fax:

(225) 473-3917

SPACER.GIF

Physical Address:

Univar USA

34200 Distribution Ln

Geismar, LA 70734

US

SPACER.GIF

Mailing Address:

Univar USA

34200 Distribution Ln

Geismar, LA 70734

SPACER.GIF

Primary Contact Information:

Ken C Guilbeau

(225) 473-1921

SPACER.GIF

Local Contact Information:

Dennis D Warner

(225) 473-1921

SPACER.GIF

Time Zone:

Central

Forgiven. It's right but there is an easier way. Follow my logic.

For your tank 12 / 35 = .3428571

Whenever you divide something by one, you can instead just flip over the fraction and multiply. Hence,

1 /.3428571 => 1/(12/35) => 35/12

This also means that all these are the same

1.5/.3428571 => 1.5/ (12/35) => 1.5 * (35/12)

Now, for PW chemistry 35/12 is close enough (2.92) to 3. So I'd just say that 1.5*3 = 4.5 gallons.

Philip,

So please verify... we take c (desired tank percentage) x the flipped fraction t (desired tank volume) over b (starting bleach percentage) ?

Formula being C x (t/b)

..And both our "/" within the "()" are really supposed to be a flat fraction sign?.....

My lady had me all confused this morning wanting me to think ratio of 3:1 and I just knew that a math teacher would want us to just flip or convert to fractions to multiply or some such thing...

This stuff confuses the heck outta me...arggghhh

p.s. ...

In practice I could just count off on my fingers how many half cuts it took to get to the end desired % I want and use that figure x the desired %...

p.s. ... well nope that don't work hu...lol

Ahh, I tried univar earlier today ... and after waiting on the phone for 10 min. the salesman says "sorry we can't sell it to you" so I called a company that they can sell it to and asked If I could buy it from them ... lol, it gets better .. he says "sure" then calls me back and tells me his insurance won't let him sell it to me ... Louisiana, home of the largest chemical plants in the world and no 12.5% SH for lil. ol me :( please, any more advice ????

So please verify... we take c (desired tank percentage) x the flipped fraction t (desired tank volume) over b (starting bleach percentage) ? Formula being C x (t/b)

Yes.

Anytime you have to divide by a fraction (not nice to do in you head), just invert and multiply (much nicer on the old noggin).

..And both our "/" within the "()" are really supposed to be a flat fraction sign?

You understood correctly. BUT... To be technically correct, the flat fraction sign is really supposed to be a "/". The flat fraction sign is deprecated because the concept of flipping numbers (important to algebra) does not make sense with a the .|. sign.

Ahh, I tried univar earlier today ... and after waiting on the phone for 10 min. the salesman says "sorry we can't sell it to you" so I called a company that they can sell it to and asked If I could buy it from them ... lol, it gets better .. he says "sure" then calls me back and tells me his insurance won't let him sell it to me ... Louisiana, home of the largest chemical plants in the world and no 12.5% SH for lil. ol me :( please, any more advice ????

I've seen 10% in fivers at local restaurant supply stores. I'd be careful though, the ones I saw were ridiculously priced and had sat long enough that the bungs were rusting.

(TEE-HEE, I said "bungs were rusting":rotfl: )

{singing} It's all coming back to me now..

In school they would have told us to change C to fraction, then multiply across both the top and bottom and then devide the fraction back to whole number......Feels like grade school again...thanx Philip....

I'll probably print and paste the formula to my machinery since the math will deal with products of any % , or any gal. amount, or tank size that I might want to dilute down.

Doesn't Osh have a tad higher % SH in 2 gal. boxes? muriatic and bleach both I believe..