Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Why are round tables and classes important to you? Why do you attend them?

Hi all,

Humor me please....

I would like to hear from all of you who have attended round tables or formal training classes.

• Why did you go?

• What did you get out of it?

• Would you attend again and why or why not?

Please be clear if you are answering based upon attending a round table or a structured class.

Thanks!!!

Beth

Round Tables....meet people, make friends, exchange biz cards and phone numbers, build relationships that are priceless. Once I meet someone and get to know them I am more comfortable in calling them and asking them questions and advise if need be and it works both ways. The other day I was talking to a friend about the characteristics of brick and he asked me a question that I wasn't sure about and I said "I'll ask and find out." He said "who are you going to ask?" Like the H&R Block commercials, I said "I got people." ; )

Beth,

I attended the recent ACR roundtable last month.

Why did you go?

What Barry eloquently said in the above post. Meet like minded and helpful people. Learn new things. Network. Actually meet those face to face that I have interacted with here on TGS. Have fun. Support the best business partners I have, Tom and Barbara Vogel.

What did you get out of it?

Recognition as a wood guy among others. Your terrific marketing class ( come on Beth, two points?). Seriously, the best few bucks I've spent on education. Socializing and just getting to know a few others in the same business. This is a solitary business in many aspects and after a long winter, just knowing and interacting with other real live people is important. Camaraderie is important for well being.

Would you attend again and why or why not?

Yes. Because of all of the above. Missed ACR's fall roundtable being up in Maine and its the first one since Tom and Barbara started these get togethers. Plus I relish the opportunity to give you and Barbara a tight squeeze when I see 'ya!

Round tables are great! I find that it is much faster to just roll up your sleeves and duke it out than to argue here for days upon end...

Philip exclaims:

Round tables are great! I find that it is much faster to just roll up your sleeves and duke it out than to argue here for days upon end...

Hah! Hilarious. And very close to the truth for me at the moment. Good to see a sceptic, cynic, and wit here on TGS.

Philip exclaims:

Hah! Hilarious. And very close to the truth for me at the moment. Good to see a sceptic, cynic, and wit here on TGS.

Don't take exception to that Phillip...I'm still stinging from when Jeff said we were old and fat in response to another post. In my case, the truth really hurts!

Maybe we should have our own RT Phillip. It wont be no Ultimate Fight RT, but probably entertaining. I'd have to go in training or at least have a few shots of Whiskey. We could have RT talks of Pumps & Politics LOL

I'd like to go to a couple RT's just never seem to have the time. I just like meeting people and do a little learning

Just 'cause we don't see eye-to-eye doesn't mean I don't like you. I think you, me, and a few bottles of brew would make for one heck of a fun discussion that I would be priviledged to take part in.

What all the other have said plus, in talking with everyone, I may learn methods that may save me money, time, effort, produce a better product, save aggravation, solve a problem etc. Multiply that by the number of people attending, I would definitely be a better contractor.

Terry

Just 'cause we don't see eye-to-eye doesn't mean I don't like you. I think you, me, and a few bottles of brew would make for one heck of a fun discussion that I would be priviledged to take part in.

Brew, did I hear brew:lgsideway . Maybe someday brother

• Why did you go?

--I go to the roundtables to meet people in this industry and to catch up on some of the friendships and put faces on some of the people I've met thru the Powerwashing bulletin boards. I've learned a ton from these people and also from some of the speakers at these roundtables. The first paid class I've taken at a roundtable was a Pump class by Tom Vogle from ACR Products which was definitely worth the money spent.

--What I got out of the roundtables is many things. One being forging stronger bonds amongst the friends I've seen in the past and the new ones made at these roundtables. I've learned from just listening to some contractors on how they do there business and what has and has not worked for them(Priceless). I've also got potential leads and some nice paying jobs from networking with people at these roundtables.

--I plan on attending many more roundtables in the future. Besides what I mentioned above, when I leave these roundtable I'm more pumped then ever to make some more $$$$$$$$!!

I may learn methods that may save me money, time, effort, produce a better product, save aggravation, solve a problem etc.

Not may be, WILL be. TGS is a virtual round table. Try a real one on for size. If there is a round table near you, go. If not, start one. I organized one here last fall and it was worth 10x the effort I put into it.

Philip

Brew, did I hear brew. Maybe someday brother

Next time I'm in Myrtle Beach I'll look you up. You bring the chairs, I'll bring the brew.

• Why did you go?

To meet people ane network. Business opportunities mostly.

Tips for being successful and tips for being unsuccessful. The latter was very valuable. Lost of good relationships.

Yes. It was very valuable. Even though I have sold out. if there was another in Ga I would attend just to impose my opinion on others. JK. I would attend though. It would be great to see some of my buds again. And I could give back to some newbies as payback for those who gave to me when I was a newbie.

Yes

Please do not edit or delete Philip's "edit reasons".

Reason: Original post was in chinese...

I'm howling up here on the 3rd floor and my wife thinks I'm having a heart attack. Kudos for a sense of humor.

Can we please stay on topic? I am asking these questions for a reason, and I am trying to gather research info. I'll yank any others that are distracting and off target as well if I feel the need. You are being rude. You are acting like a small child testing the limits.

Beth

p.s. read: http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/residential-pressure-washing/announcements.html

Ok, constructive feedback. I have attended three round table events and feel alot of time and effort was put in each one. Its good to netwrok with local and out of state contractors at these events. The one thing I would like to see more of , is an open floor discussion since it is a round table event to talk about our trade. The best info I get out of these meetings is when I float around to the small groups off by themselves talking about tips and experiences each one has had.Similiar to the talk on this board. I feel that there is little open floor discussion for people to ask questions or share experiences that may be helpful to the next guy. It almost seems that the most part of the roud table event is spent listening to reps trying to sell their product like a paid advertisement or looking at a 100k machine that know one can afford.

I went to the Greensboro RT. That was my first and I would like to attend more. As others have said it is a great opportunity to put faces to the names you see on the boards. Relationships in any business are good and having people you know will help you out and whose opinions you value are like the commercial says, priceless.

Another benefit is to see the new equipment that is out there, even the stuff with a price tag that may be out of reach. Anytime I see a piece of equipment it gets me thinking about how that could be used in my business. If it is priced out of range of what I can afford it still starts the wheels turning with alternative ways to accomplish the same thing or makes you hungry to grow your business to the point you can afford that machine and you need it.

I would like to go to some training classes but so far the price has been more than my business can afford right now. Spending $800 on a class that could give you the skills to earn thousands is certainly money well spent. Before I spend that I would like to talk to people who have been through the classes to be sure the knowledge taught is worth the money spent. On the other hand how can you go wrong spending a few bucks on a roundtable?