Sign in to follow this  
Tom DeFrancesco

Sunoco gas stations NY,NJ,PA

Recieved a call from a gentleman about power washing canopies and buildings at approximately 700 Sunoco gas stations throughout NY,NJ,PA. Met with a gentleman by the name of Patrick at a station by me and discussed the particulars. Does not need a perfect job just needs it to be paint ready. Wants loose paint removed along with any grease. No guarantee of water access at each location. If you are a painter also he will sub the entire job to you. Canopy belly, island curbs and building to be painted.

The downside and why I am not taking this job is because they will only pay 5 1/2 cents per/sqft for the washing part. They pre-measured every station and provide you with the sq/ft. Example- One particular station they will only pay you $84.32. Not to sound like a pompous a$$ but I usually do not even start my machine for less than $150.00. That price includes your chems, travel and all safety precautions. If there is more than one island you are only allowed to close one island at a time and must cover the pumps and utilize specified size cones and tarps.

I am willing to pass on Patricks phone number to anyone interested as long as they are a legitamately insured company. Although it sounds nice and there are that many stations gas is over $3.00 a/gal and my truck barely gets 11 mpg. It may work for someone else.

Here is my educated guess on this whole thing. I believe the company that Patrick works for under bid themselves and are in a jam. Right now they have painters doing it with cw HD machines and they are complaining. Rightfully so. I tried to up it a few cents to make it work for the both of us. I told him I would need at least 8 1/2 to 9 cents a sq/ft to make it worth my while. I know 700 is alot but it is the travelling and payroll that I think will kill me. Also you can only go as fast as the painters. He will not let you get to far ahead. Payment is 30-45 days. Another problem I always have is ( Does not have to be perfect.) These stations are in my market areas and I do not want potential customers seeing me do not a perfect job. I guess that's my problem. I am too a**l.

Please Pardon the newbie question but I am trying to land a small town gas station contract. Whats is the best method of performing a good service?

Jeff - give me a call sometime. I am down the road from you in Solano County. I have no problem helping you out. In fact I may be able to turn you on to a Popeyes/Gas Station combo in Dixon, Ca....that is if you will travel that far down 80.

I am in Sacramento off and on ~ more off then on due to the holiday season! Give me a shout sometime.

Do you have a surface cleaner?

Email me what you have in equipment for flat work and etc....

1. 700 hundred gas stations at an average of say $110 per =$77,000

2. Traveling three states averaging 6 per day (which seems like a long day with covering things, windshield time, setup, customer interference, etc)= 140 days for one crew.

3. Fuel for 140 work days: approx $1600

4. Chems: $3500

5. Payroll for a one man show with helper: $21,000 (a real employee at $10/hr with matching taxes and workmen's comp)

6. Equipment depreciation, vehicle wear and tear and other indirect costs: $2500

7. Lodging expenses at $70/night (factoring in that half of days would not require lodging): $4900.

Costs: $33,500

Gross profit $43,500

10% to company for net profit: $4350

Leaving $39,150 for owner/operator. That works out to $279 per work day. During the peak of the season? AJ, I am curious to hear how this worked out for you.