Sign in to follow this  
threetwoone

Rust stains on vinyl

Question

Washed vinyl sided house (white). There's rust stains under the windows, from the water dripping. Windows were aluminum, rust is coming from under & around the aluminum capped windows. How do I remove? Do I have to keep rinsing til the rust stops coming out?

5 answers to this question

That is irritating, you could probably rinse all day and it wouldn't stop. Best to let it dry and apply some oxalic acid, that should work may take more than one application.

Jeff

Are you sure it is rust or just dirt that is coming back out of the drain area or the wheep holes. I just did a building the other day and after I had rolled my hoses up I looked and had what appeared as stains but it was just dirt coming out of the little wheep holes in the bottom of the siding. I learned a long time ago not to keep washing these. I wait for it to mostly dry or stop then just take a wet (water only) brush on a pole and wipe over them. If you keep washing then you are adding water to the problem that you are trying to stop. Please try and wipe over them and see if that helps.

Good luck,

Anthony

Oxalic acid is the friendlier way to remove it. Thanks for the information and sorry that is was not drainage.....lot easier to remove. There are rust removers that can be bought in stores for homeowners to use....CLR is one and there are many others that contain phosphoric or oxalic acid. You may be able to rub some of these products over the affected areas if you dont need or cant find buld oxalic. Some deck brightners contain the oxalic also.

Good Luck,

Anthony