Sign in to follow this  
rj242

Buffer Tank ?

Question

I have been doing some research on maybe upsizing my 3.5gpm rig to a 5.0gpm rig, and have some questions about the buffer tank. Can anyone tell me how the buffer tank is rigged (or connected) to the pressure washer(unsure how everything is hooked together). Pictures would be great.

4 answers to this question

If you buy a pressure washer that has a float tank then that is a small buffer tank. Or you can have a larger water tank (50-500 gal) to use. If it is a float tank then everything should be preplumbed and the tank is usually higher than the input on the pump to help feed it. This uses a float similar to a toilet that cuts the water flow off as it fills up so that none is wasted.

I currently run 325 gallon tanks for a buffer. I have it set up so that my incoming water supply fills the tanks and the outlets of the tanks are hooked together to equalize then it tee's off to come into the pressure washer. I have to keep the water level up above the pump level so that the water is pushing into the pump. I know that I can set it up for suction but havent tried that.

Hope that helps.

Anthony

I currently run 2 Honda/Cat direct drive setup (works better for my space) and you are supposed to be able to turn the unloader to the opposite end (according to the manual) and it will pull but you will lose a little pressure. I dont know for sure how this would work and the pressure drop would not bother me since I rarely use anything above 1500 psi except for concrete.

In my experience direct drives do not siphon well. Some work others wont siphon at all. We have a Porter Cable DD that will only run off a direct hose. Both of our belt drives in our box truck though will siphon a 325 gallon tank to the bottom completely even with the hose being 6" below the pump.