Sign in to follow this  
VanDiesel99

Engine Problem 25 horse kohler

Had some trouble on the last job I did, my worker left the choke on for about 2-3 hours. When I unchoked it, it still sputtered and put out black smoke and would *cough* even more black smoke. I shut it down for the day. Not sure what it could be, just curious of you guys opinions on the matter.

Probably got a good load of carbon in the head and muffler. Get a couple of fresh spark plugs, and the rest should straighten itself out...might want to take a peek at the air filter while you're at it.

Definitely want to change the oil too! As a rich gas mixture will get past your rings and into the oil. If you're 'lucky' the cylinder walls will be ruined. Make sure to do a compression test after you have flushed the oil and are about to change the spark plug. A friend of mine ruined a 4 bolt main 350 from too rich a gas mixture. Oh yes - after changing the motor oil - and before replacing the plugs - shoot some Marvil mystery oil directly into the combustin chambers through the open spark plug hole - and turn it over so those rings get some oil back in them - then do a compression test. And hopefully all will be fine.