Sign in to follow this  
RyanH

What happens when scaffolding costs more than life insurance

Saw this last week...couldn't believe it. I SOOO wanted to ask these guys if they would let me tie off and go for a scoot down the side of the building, but I don't think the wife would've approved.

post-334-137772179475_thumb.jpg

post-334-137772179481_thumb.jpg

Actually I'd rather be on a stage. If you look really close at the picture you'll see that both guys are not only connected to the same lifeline, but they're even connected to the same desender. If im not mistaken, they should each have their own lifeline, and their own desender. I assume the reason they're doing drops is the staging is usually wider then some of those inside narrow spaces on the building, the stage would not rest even on the building.

Ryan, where's the building at, Atlanta?

Ryan, where's the building at, Atlanta?

I don't think even the labor market in Atlanta would be that crazy to attempt this. No, this is in Shanghai, China. I was there recently on some business and saw these guys coming down the building and thought some of you on the board would appreciate the nerve [or stupidity] this required.

The Bosun's chairs is illegal in some states. Those guys have a lot of something. I am not sure that it is brains. I have always wondered though, They are wearing hard hats. I wonder if they are effective if you fall 20 stories or so?

Boswains Chairs are an effective way to do a lot of different jobs. I've seen window washes around here use them several times. They are actually fairly safe & cost effective and sometimes make the most sense to use. They always should have a separate safety line. I've used them many years ago and are actually a comfortable & useful tool.

They can be scary, just like anything is when you are hanging hundreds of feet up. i did a smoke stack 350 ft up, we had to scrape, prime & paint some little vents on it. The scariest thing is when I was up there was the Hawk that didn't like me and would swoop close to me

I worked Pilgrim Nuke plant and I learned back then you don't want to pressure wash off a Boswain Chair. They took this huge motor of this piece of equipment in the Nuke plant and it went about 60ft down. we set up a bar across the pit and below was ocean water. We hung the chair off the bar and I got in chair and lowered myself down and they lowered a hose & gun to a 4 GPM machine. WHAT A JOKE ! I had all kinds of guys white hats ( supers) and a couple of my union brothers up above watching. well I pulled the trigger and would just SPIN :headspin: around in circles, we were trying to clean the crustaceans off the sides. Turn it on and SPIN, SPIN SPIN:lgbonk: . It was almost comical. I tried to hold my self in place with my foot and put a board on the gun to hold me in place. Pull the trigger and SPIN SPIN SPIN. I gave up I was getting dizzy and wanted to puuukkkke:lgsick: . went back up and the job never got done, motor went back on.

Chairs are handy, I just wouldn't try PWing out of one

They can be fun, if you know what your doing and deadly if you dont.

Plus the guy on the left has two lanyards tied together. You must keep your fall less than 6 feet. He has 12 feet in lanyards alone plus the "swing" factor.

They should have separate lifelines and the rope grab should be at least equal to his shoulder height in case of fall.

just a couple more observations

Scott