Sign in to follow this  
HYDROACTIVE

Wet blasting concrete?

Question

I've been lurking here for awhile doing alot of reading. Now I have a question...

I have been doing new consruction cleaning for large contractor for the last couple of years. They are my best customer by far. Mostly concrete. The latest job is a 10 building condominium complex on the gulf. Subs made a real mess on all the concrete breezeways- Paint (latex and oil), epoxy, block sealer, waterproofer, primer, sheetrock mud, glue, tar, stucco, you name it.... 90% of everything has been removed using our current means, that is scraping, brushing, paint stripper, Sure Klean, mineral spirits, pressure, etc. They asked me if I knew of any way to remove the other ~10%. Alot of what is left is spilled block sealer, and some crap that we haven't even identified. Regardless, it's stubborn. Some of the concrete was so bad they made the sub put a coating of Ardex over it before we even came in to clean it.

Sorry for the history, but my questions concern wet blasting of some sort.

Is it feasable in this situation?

Can we just do it in the spots that need it or will the texture change enough to require blasting everything to make it uniform (about 40,000sf)?

What media would be best?

Will a "sandblasting kit" added to my equipment provide decent results?

I need to keep this customer happy. If I can find a way to remove this stubborn crap, it will not only make my customer happy, but it will add to the service options I can offer to them and others.

I have one 2-man trailer unit and a single trailer unit w/ heat.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have pictures if needed.

Thanks, Jeremy

1 answer to this question

Hello Jeremy.

Whew! 40ksq ft of problem!

imo almost anything u do w pressure including abrasive blasting will change the texture appearance of the new concrete surface.

There is a blasting medium out there called Super K that is not as harsh as wet blasting w sand, and more abrasive than a soda blast.

You might run a search for it...

r