Sign in to follow this  
Veren Pressure Cleaning

Which are the best sealants to spray?

Question

I was wondering which, of all the sealants, is the easiest to spray and with what machine (ie. deckster, airless, shurflo/delavan). I just finished a 2400 sq. ft deck with a raised portion, and did it entirely with brushes and rollers. It took far to long to finish and now I am finished with that method of application. I applied the TWP cedartone natural 100 series. I was told by several people, including the information center for the stain, that it was very unwise to spray TWP, so I did it the wiser and slower way.

By the way, my name is Nick Wallace, 21, and currently accustoming to the normal American life again after a 2 year stay in Bulgaria as a missionary for my church. I am starting up a new company in the western region of Michigan, in a city called Grand Rapids. You all have given me priceless insights on starting the company and I thank everyone who has been generous enough to post a thread.

10 answers to this question

You'll find that many people use the Decker/Deckster type (they use lower pressure), and an airless for heavier bodied stains. Some stains require backbrushing, some not. It's likely that the person selling the TWP wasn't even aware of the Decker/Deckster type sprayers, and that could be true of their info center as well.

Any spraying takes some practice and technique, but IMO, any stain can be sprayed with the right equip. If I were to start all over again, I would have just gone with a Decker or Deckster only. I believe you could shoot just about anything with one of those and some practice.

I have heard that the TWP is decent stuff, but be open to trying other stains to see what you like best, and what works best for your skill level, time on the job, and aesthetic results. You should consider all three, and the balance that you desire between them carefully.

I spray a similar stain to TWP and I like my shurflo it's all i need.It helps to have the right tips or wand to give you the best spray pattern like this one.

dsc00879wand2nr5.jpg

Thanks for the help. I have been to sunbrite a few times, but I bought a delevan pump and set up that system just days before I found out about the deckster. Now I am regreting not looking a little further, but for now it will do.

BTW, Shane, if I were to use my delevan pump to spray with, how would I go about trying to get that wand set-up that you have. Secondly, how would I take care of the clean-up, trying to get the stain out of the pump and tubing, and is it possible to use the same unit to spray your chems. Thanks a ton.

Ummm...how many GPM is your Delavan. You would not want to use a 5 GPM pump for stain. Can you say $100 a minute of stain coming out. I can stain a small deck with less than 5 gallons.

BTW, Shane, if I were to use my delevan pump to spray with, how would I go about trying to get that wand set-up that you have. Secondly, how would I take care of the clean-up, trying to get the stain out of the pump and tubing, and is it possible to use the same unit to spray your chems. Thanks a ton.

Well like Larry said you can lose a lot of stain with the wrong tip to spray stain.I like using a 1.8 shurflo 60.psi shurflo with a Teejet Tip 6502 that gives me enough psi and gpm to spray stain but it's a little slow on chems.I use 2 different pumps for staining and chems.The chems need to be used with plastic or stainless fittings,triggers etc.I use brass for all stianing.

I clean my staining pumps with soapy water only no mineral spirits that tend to dry out the seals in the pumps.My cleaning pumps are cleaned with soapy water.

i have used ready seal sealer and sprayed it with a regular garden sprayer. but honestly, if time permits i like to seal with a brush and roller because i can "feel" how much it gets absorbed. with a spray, i always feel that i missed some spots.

By the way, how did you like bulgaria?

Thanks for the input. Sorry I haven't replied in a while. I was at a large family reunion near Makinaw City without an internet connection.

Right now I have the Delevan PowerFLO 5800 5.3 gpm 60 psi. At the moment I only use it for chems.

Bulgaria was great. I learned a LOT, but mainly the value of a functional family, a decent job and the luxuries many Americans have little appreciation for. It was a large factor why I started this company. I wanted to take advantage of the special opportunities I have as an American, such as working capitalism. The 2 year mission was the best decision of my life.