Sign in to follow this  
dpaull

Gutter / home washing estimate...

Question

I need help putting together a fair estimate for a potential customer. Is anyone willing to talk for a minute or two on the telephone either tonight or tomorrow morning?

--

edit:

OK that didn't work.

Anyway, I was wondering, if this sounds like it's on track...

gutters (exterior) - $1.00 / linear foot

house siding (1.5 story) $2.00 / linear foot

Normally those prices sound good to me, but my only problem is that last year, this customer had his brother 'pressure wash' his house...so now there are huge lines in his siding all the way up to the roof (1.5 stories up).

I have no idea how he got what looks to be 15 degree nozzle lines all the way up to his roof on his siding...I'm guessing a ladder maybe.

--

I'm just concerned that now if I spray it down with my house wash solution, that those lines are still going to be evident...and a big part of what he wants is those lines removed.

I certainly don't want to spend all day brushing his house, or if I'd have to, I'd definitely have to increase the price substantially.

I'm thinking I may walk away from this one.

--

Any thoughts?

4 answers to this question

I include brushing gutters in my pricing. For a two story I would charge at least $2 per linear foot. Without seeing the house this is what I would suggest. Give the customer a qoute based on the assumption that your house wash mix will remove the marks. Tell the customer you will want them on the property when the work is done and pick an area to do as a test to see if the marks come off. If they don't have a back up plan with the customer to either charge more to brush them out or continue at the agreed price but the customer makes the decision.

You could also offer to do a test area at no charge just to show the customer what to expect. This would also give you a chance to see what the job will require and you can then quote accordinly.

I agree with Doug. What has happened, more than likely, is that the bro' has removed oxidation with pressure. Most likely, either brushing or very careful 5 - 600 psi pressure over the entire area will cure it.

Alright well thanks. I'm heading out there tomorrow morning so we'll see what happens. Just finished up two big residential jobs today.

I'll keep you all posted.