Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Funny Deck estimation

Question

So I finally am getting a bunch of calls for house washing and deck restoration. I have done a few decks in my career, but never day in and day like you professionals are doing - so I want automate my deck pricing and get more professional wages. So I am searching through the archives revisiting discussions about pricing. One thread on another site, Ken Fenner explained and broke down his new pricing for deck work and gave an example. Well I took the raw sq. foootage of just the decking part and backwards computed a multiplication factor to come up with the final square footage of all the surfaces. Then I remembered on another thread Russell Cissell using his wacky method for computing total sq. footage. Then I took my measurements from a potential customers deck - using Russell's method I got 840 sq. feet - using Ken's method I got 842.5 sq. ft!!!!!!!!! I basically took it as a message from God. It just really woke me up as to how much I am underestimating deck surfaces. So with these new surfaces, just my basic deck cleanings with just a single application of TSP/Bleach/Surfactant and a heavy rinse is really just $0.35/sq. ft.

1 answer to this question

You refering to that railing thread? links please.. :)

When I compare my actual end estimate amounts to just my raw decking measurement/price I see on average about 40% more surface/money to figure in way of rails, stairs, lattice, etc..