Sign in to follow this  
MMI Enterprises

Plywood deck- Dumb Question

Question

I get the worst kind of leads. rolleyes.gif Guy calls with a second story painted plywood balcony with metal rail. The paint isn't failing but he wants the seems sealed so it don't leak underneith and then repainted so the seems aren't seen. Told him not in so many words 'good luck' but that he should have me come take a look anyways...

What's the question you may ask?..lol...

Do I run??

...or maybe 2 part poly coat it at full disclaimer? ,

..or snow coat/tar coat or just tar paper it and reskin over top with 2x6 for a water proof situation?

..or do I rip out plywood (slider footer perhaps too close to allow for reskin), reskin, and check into one of them waterproof vinyl systems for underneith?

I say tar paper, skin it, stain it... eek.gif

8 answers to this question

Kevin, the last house I worked on had flat, solid decks done with an ab urethane product and the super loved it... he said NO leaks.

all told it was about an inch thick, over OSB plywood, and the surface layer was textured, like on a wall in the house. Looked good, and felt good.

There's a number of different suppliers out there.

r

Thanx for the confidence builder Rich...have worked with 2 part urethane and epoxy on hard surface interior commercial work and know the top urethane leveling coat to be the toughest stuff around. Never had the guts to try it on flexable exterior surface though. Maybe the stuff you refer to purposely has more body to it for the texture and formulated real specific to the task of binding on wood.. .Thick stuff like epoxy can do the texture/orange peel look all on their own with a roller if they not thinned down from the standard mix directions.

If ya got a link or product name that be great.... maybe some clear rhino bed liner work eh?... :)

Thanx Rich..Their grizzly grip sounds good although they generally abit expensive on the piece mealed stuff.

For instance their Sealer Gloss Enhancer (Aliphatic Acrylic (anti graffiti) polyurethane; these types of coatings are the most durable coatings in today’s industrial industry.) runs $104 for 1.5 gal. worth after catalyization but before shipping or any hazmat. I get it for $80 no shipping.

The grizzly product itself apparently is similar to that same aliphetic base but with fine rubber particles for $78. Still got to add color and uv. It must be different as they trying to sell the Gloss enhancer under premiss that the Grizzly grip "dulls up". That actually concerns me in that if it is same base then all the additions of other products to make the thick stuff actually messes with the durability of the main 2 part base.

Regardless I would need such a base as the grizzly to get the leveling and texture unless I epoxy and then thin film it with the poly...Surely I can recreate what some current customers never meant to do in putting down goopy epoxy...on regular basis I'm like "yes sir I will polish or burnish your orange peel floors for you".