Sign in to follow this  
Stuart Nabors

Remote Cup-HVLP

Question

Can anyone advise me about the use of a remote cup setup for HVLP? I generally use sealing pads (Shurline seven inch and eighteen inch from the Sealer Store) for my horizontals....I find they make quick work with little prep time, but I've been looking into an HVLP setup to spray just the vertical stuff. I'd like (obviously) to keep the investment to minimum $$ and have looked at a some low dollar (under $200) turbine-driven, one-quart guns (I like the Campbell Hausfield upgraded to an NBC gun), but I'm worried about being able to spray at angles. I don't currently have a compressor, but I've considered buying one to set up a conversion gun with a remote cup (2 quart)....any advice most appreciated!

3 answers to this question

Stuart, I use hvlp a lot.

Mostly a capspray 9100 4 turbine w a pressure pot or 2qt cup and remote line for the gun, and feed pressure to the pot w an import compressor cost less than $100...

The prob w hvlp is it is slow... NOT for production speed.

and, you need an 8-9cfm compressor to get an hvlp conversion gun working at a speed where you don't have to wait for the compressor to build up.

I do not know anything about the cheap turbines, never used one.

Harbor freight is a good source for cheap guns, press pots, and hose.

r

Thanks, Rich. Less than $100? The conversion guns and remote cup setups I've been looking at have been approx $300, not including the cost of the compressor of course. I was told I could get by with a 3 horsepower compressor, wasn't sure about cfm's. I guess I'm not that worried about the speed....I need the sprayer just for vertical stuff, not the horizontal. Is HVLP effective for that kind of use? (just my pickets and rails?) The turbine-driven units I've been looking at are like this one:

Campbell Hausfeld 2-Turbine High Volume / Low Pressure Painter

I think something like this might fit the bill, but I'm willing to make the investment in the remote cup setup if it's worth the extra $$. My concern with the one-quart cup is capacity and ease of operation--the gun with the cup attached looks like it would have a harder time reaching some areas than the gun in the remote cup setup. Also, I haven't seriously considered the pressure pot because it seems like overkill a little, and the lack of an agitator in a 2.5 gallon container concerns me. Thanks again!