Sign in to follow this  
ACleanerImage

How long after installation can you seal?

Question

Guys, I was wondering how long you were waiting to seal pavers after they were installed? I have this possible customer that stated her installer said wait 90 days. I have sealed after a week or two before without any problems. What would you guys say to this customer convince them that you don't have to wait that long? What would you say would be the least amt of time to wait? I know it depends if the pavers have been sitting on the yard for a couple of months or if they have to make them.

6 answers to this question

The main reason to wait is for the the efflorescence. Efflo is a white soluble salt that will (sometimes not everytime) rise to the surface of the paver from the sun after installation. If you seal too soon the salt can be trapped under the sealer. We suggest waiting at least 90 days so this process can take it's natural course. Efflo can also be removed with a muriatic/hydrochloric type cleaner. Very risky though. Too much cleaner will burn the new finish of the pavers and they will look like they are 10 years old.

Hey,

I tell customers to wait 30 days. As previous sales rep for Paver Systems, a large manufacture here in Florida, i can confidentely say that most primary and secondary efflo in our climate will leach out rather quickly. Most pavers sit in the manufacturing yards for about a month or so before they even make it to a job site. Unless its a custom order, which you wouldnt usually run into unless its commercial. Keep it safe 30 days. And you should acid prep every job you do especially a new install.

Hi Cody, What you recommend on acid and strength on the 'every job' when they not much visable in way efflo?

Any newly installed job, even if it has no efflo, has concrete dust from cutting, portland or concrete dust from pouring the edges sometimes that all needs to be removed. On old jobs with or without sealer I still apply a phosphoric. 5-10% through chem injector and wand.