Sign in to follow this  
n4rb

Fence Estimate & General. Need Advice.

Question

Hey everybody,

got a quick question, what is the best way to estimate a fence? I got about 30 cents per sq. ft. but does that sound about right? They want me to do an estimate on appx. 300 yards of Wooden fence, 1 side only, probably untreated (looks untreated, just like normal wood), 6 ft high.

Also in front of it, is about 300 yards of vinyl fence, I attached some pics for reference, sorry I dont have close-ups of the wooden fence (yet) because my camera died :P

Also what about chemicals? I was thinking about using just normal Vinyl House Wash which I use to clean houses with on the vinyl fence, but on the wooden fence ... ? I have never done a wood fence before. March 1st. We have a class in our area about Wood Restoration etc. but if I get enough advice on here before that, I could test it out on my wood fence to see results.

Thanks!!! :)

12 answers to this question

For the wood I was actually thinking just using my normal pressure washer and use low PSI to apply SafeWash Wood Cleaner from Sun Brite, and then follow up with #80 Brightener from Sun Brite. Anything else I would need, or better ideas?

Really my main concern is the estimate. It about 600 yards, so about 2400 feet. 2400 * 0.30 = 720, does that sound about right? it sure does look like a lot of fence, lol ...

Heres the thing..there isn't usually much money in the fences. People don't generally recognize the cost of putting up a new one and so they tend to freak out abit in hearing the prices to clean AND protect a fence. Good news is that they easy and don't need the efforts of say a full deck restore. I'de say your price is about right on for a clean and brighten but I pretty much have to push for the staining under premise that the fence will just go gray again and procede on towards rot and damage in short time. I believe it to be upsale that has to be described and pushed.

Staining add from $.35 -.45 + materials. Stain costs from about $.12 on up..

In other words $.77 is a good price fer fence.

Know what yer doing and this can translate into $100 an hour profit after product.. Fenfen probably get twice that though.. :)

Yeah I was thinking about walking away from the wood, unless I can queue the job after March 8th,9th when im going to attend the Wood Restoration class by Alliance Trade Services. But then again, I might just pass up on the wood and keep specializing in vinyl/brick homes and commercial .... Wood might just be a little bit too tricky for me right now ;)

You might want to consider some labor for learning.

There a lot of good contractors out there that would teach you

some of tricks of the trade for some free labor.

I did it when I first got in the biz and it was a great help.

I'm not a woody, or I'd have you come up.

Pat,

When I said your price about right on I was not refering to your latter post.

Your math example is seriously in need of correction!!

Really my main concern is the estimate. It about 600 yards, so about 2400 feet. 2400 * 0.30 = 720, does that sound about right? it sure does look like a lot of fence, lol ...

Is the wood 300 yard as stated in first post or is it 600 yard?

300 ln. yards= 900 ln.ft. x 6' height= 5400 sq. ft. x .30 = $1620 for cleaning

or $4158 for clean, neutralize, and stain at the rate I sited..

Based on size I would give them a sweet deal at about $3500 and do it over 4 day period. (1 day clean, 1 day dry, 2 day stain). But I fast and economical. :)

ps. I know this..they surely don't want to have to replace that fence. Price for that start about 14k or so on upwards of 20k and higher.. ($14-$16 per ln.= cheap fence install)

Hmm, my calculation was flawed ridiculously .. haha. The fence part is about 300 yards, and the vinyl fence (as seen in the pics) is about 300 yards. Im going back out there today to exactly measure how many feet it is exactly, and take more pics. Ill respond later ton today. Thanks!

Ok, finally was able to go and take some more pictures, got me a new phone too ;) The BlackBerry 8310 Curve ... what a phone! These pics were taken with it by the way.

Anyways, I measured it all out and took pics, judging from the pics, what would YOU guys recommend as in chemicals?

Also, Water is probably NOT available at the location, how much do you usually charge for that?

Thanks!!!

post-3173-137772197067_thumb.jpg

post-3173-137772197074_thumb.jpg

post-3173-13777219708_thumb.jpg

post-3173-137772197086_thumb.jpg

post-3173-137772197093_thumb.jpg