Sign in to follow this  
MudDuck

What to use?

Question

I've got a deck set up thats at an old dive bar n grill which sets pretty much on a bluff 3200' w/the deck hanging off it overlooking about a 2500' drop canyon. (harsh weather! 75 degree today and calling 4 snow this Mon. 3 days) This thing has more snit on it than a kinder garden art room wall. Looks like everything from Thompsons to whatever the local painter / handyman / drunk could find (varnish / stain? no paint) to work off his / their bar tabs. Some shiny some dull some dark,,you name it. I've got some F-18 but just about afraid that wont work. Or anything for that matter other than a flame thrower. Do you think the F-18 will be enough and what ratio is still safe or should I order and try some HD-80. (never used HD 80) I don't really want to order anything if I don't have too. I haven't tried F-18 on anything this bad before and don't want to waist it or do it 3x and wait a year to final product.

I'm going to A) put RS on it or B) just cover it all up w/ a cover stain but new owner wants some grain to show and look "pretty" for the tourist. Thanks for any suggestions.

5 answers to this question

I have always used F-18. The secret to stripping is dwell time. Often on hard deck 15-20min dwell is not enough. I have decks that took seriously 4-5hrs of dwell, we just kept wetting it w/ stripper and never let it dry. I those cases you MUST charge very premium prices. Good Luck

Well the good thing is it's a bar so I don't think I'll have much trouble finding something to do waiting on dewll.

Yea thats what I'll tell my wife. "I was waiting on the chem to dewll honey, LOL. Prob set that up for a "Friday job" for sure.

I have had really good luck with Gemini Coatings Solid Strip. It has been strong enough for everything I've needed it for. I haven't tried it on many decks as I don't do many decks, but it works well for stripping stain off log houses. Best of all its cheap at $12 a gallon. That mixes up to five gallons for $12. I trick I learned from Rich. It's faster and cheaper to take down the 2x2 pickets and replace them rather than taking the time to strip them. No website MudDuck?