Sign in to follow this  
4000psi

How long after...

Question

How long after a deck is built or fence or whatever...can you apply a stain or seal? I was told by someone that you had to wait like 6 mos or a year after the deck was built to seal. Whats your thought?

Thanks,

Dane

2 answers to this question

As a rule, I like to wait 4-6 months. To me, this allows the wood to dry thouroughly and "settle" in. A cedar fence can be done sooner. In either case, with new wood I clean it with percard then an oxalic rinse.

Depends on expectations. A dense hard wood like ipe may not alllow stain to last a year. Pratice is to let it age or try and remove some of its natural extractives so stain will be able to get in and take grip. Others expectations on other woods could be that the elements can cause damage, graying, warping, etc. in as little as a couple month. My personal practice is to get protection on as soon as any mill glaze situation or moisture is taken care of naturally or artificially. thinner the boards involved the more is at risk is my feeling on damage... Looked at a 4 month cedar fence install the other day and you could slip a finger in along the fence it was warped so bad.