Sign in to follow this  
back2new

Help with Electric PW'er -makes breaker trip

Hi there

I was looking at my dad's garage the other day and there it was ... the first PW that I bought. An "American Eagle" brand model 1104 - 1200PSI - 2.2GPM electric with diesel fired burner. couple of years old ,and yes, it hasn't being started in 20 months at least.

I did use this machine only once to be honest with you, bought it used but in very good shape - I've decided to take it home with me and see if I can make it work and sell it , and use that money and some more to buy a gas powered machine with at least 4GPM.

Ok, here's the question - The machine starts fine, runs for 10 to 15 seconds and make the breaker trip. I don't know much about equipment repair but at least with gas powered machines I know where to look, but I have NO idea about an electric one.

If you feel like help, thanks in advance, and if there's more information that you need to try to figure this problem out please let me know and I'll do my best to get you that info

thanks a lot in advance

thanks , I'll try to figure out where the 20 AMP is written because I don't have a clue about electricity , and I'll post my results

thanks again

EDIT: I know that I have to look in my breaker box, just in case :)

I did check my fuse box and now I see what you were talking about.

I haven't tried it yet but I read somewhere that the length of the extension cord and gauge is important too ... right ?

Yes. I would bet you have a 2HP motor. Youll need to run that motor on a 20 amp circuit. If you use extension cords they have to be big enough to handle the load, too small, they heat up, resistance increases...pop goes your breaker. So, avoid extension cords if possible, if you use them keep them as short as possible. If you need length get one as large (numerically lower gauge) as possible.