Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

New thread about recessionary spending

Question

Ok - I got lots of opinions. And this is mine. I think anyone that thinks higher gas pricing has any effect on whether or not clients elect to have services done - is absolutely looney. If you travel 20,000 miles a year - a high number - and get on average 27mpg with gas at $4/gallon. That totals close to 3 grand.

What I am trying to get across - is that our customers have other expenses that make gas pricing seem like mole hills in comparison. During the past 20 years has anyone watched the 'inflationary' rate of college tuition? The very best colleges out there increasing their tuition several grand a year. Parents with several children faced with 35k yearly bills per child. Yet nobody ever balked at our pricing while this was going on. Now gas and milk go up a lousy couple of bucks a gallon - and the whole world is going to hell? I have a sister that works in the milk industry - and she can tell you, milk has been priced below cost for years - it's a fixed industry from the Feds. And now they're finally playing catch up time. Experts saying that we've been paying real cheap for gas - it's just reality folks.

If you are use to buying butter for $1/lb. And buy at most $50 a year - now butter goes up to $3/lb - you're only still paying $150. And you're gonna cry? Please - lose the $800 BMW monthly bill before crying about the little things. My clients have loads of money - and higher gas pricing is just affording them a 'psychology' to chisel me down - and I see lots of contractors buying into it.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet