Sign in to follow this  
Alta

What would you charge? Please give me your opinion.

Question

80 units in a condo complex. 6000ft elevation Park City Utah

@500 sq ft horizontal surface per unit, no railings

Alot of steps, i am breaking down to 2' times width of step to figure sqft.

No water access, spot sand to remove failing stain, sweep and blow of dirt and dust

Transparent oil stain on decks now, Hoa wants to go to either semi, or solid

Semi , sw woodscapes

Solid, flood pro, or woodscapes

Other suggestions

Areas with direct sun exposure have very little stain, will take 2 coats

Would 1 coat give adequate coverage on areas with intact stain?, to reduce overall costs

I would prefer to bid job with 2 coats on everything

I am thinkint $1.50 - 2.00

Thank You For you help, Mike

4 answers to this question

How are there a lot of steps with no railings? And you said spot sanding for stain removal, are you going to be stripping these units?

Are you even washing these decks? Why would you have sweeping and blowing dirt off included in your bid?

If you are using a completely differant stain you can't just go right over the old areas even if they are still intact. I would pass on that project like no ones business

I wouldnt waste another minute trying to bid that job.

The log railings are not being done. No access to water. need to remove flaking transparent in spots were they applied to much and it failed, then clean dry. Apply semi solid or solid to get the best look possible over wood that can not be cleaned and brightned in the coventional way.

Thankyou for your reccomendations

Not sure you will like this opinion but...

Who in their right mind is gonna spot sand 40k+ ft. of deck in leiu of no water available at the rates you mentioned..why no water?, doesn't make sense to have 80 condos without water..if cabins then I could see it but even then there should be water around somewhere.

No water means buildup in cracks will remain and it means areas that aren't quite yet showing flaking will flake off with new stain soon enough or disolve and bubble off when ya apply the new stain. You would have to sand every inch to get proper penetration or adhesion and if not the new will likely not match if it didn't fail. Pretty much anytime you sand an area in wood staining it will look different than the unsanded and probably doubly so if not actually cleaning and brightening. Even when I come to a project that looks fairly decent without much graying every sq. inch is done and there is major difference anywhere that would be missed. I can't fathom spot sanding and reshooting something over the old oxidized stain, grime, and uv grayed out areas but hey I do hear home owners do such on occasion.

This is way hokie sounding project..run!!

But on other hand if you can get water out there ya got bank..just do the stairs at 2x...I like a challenge, when do we start? lol.. :)