Sign in to follow this  
mossman

Removing Black Streaks

Question

7 answers to this question

A lot of this stuff has already been discussed in other forums. Use the "search".

Gutter streaks-Gutter Grenade- pressuretek.com

Roofs-go to the roof forum and look up "Apple Sauce" by Apple Roof Cleaning.

Dane

For black streaks on gutters, go to Wal-Mart and get some Castrol super Clean or Purple power. Anything butyl based will work for gutter streaks, not to mention the only thing that will work on them.

Jeff

Depending on your location, a professional supplier of contractor grade products will help your bottom line. No disrespect to those who utilize products readily available on box store shelves, but you need to be able to separate yourself from products available to homeowners.

Concrete cleaning we use F-18 from Pressure Tek. You can get similar products from other vendors using a search for concrete cleaners or sodium hydroxide based cleaners as your search term.

With that said, are you cleaning "established" concrete or "green" concrete - residential or commercial? There are many variable associated with cleaning different areas.

I priced the commercial products, and they didn't compare to the cost from Wal-Mart. And no one sees what I'm using, I dump it into 5 gallon fuel jugs. I go with what works and then cost and also availability. Commercial products are alot of times just the same damn thing as box store stuff, just packaged different and usually more expensive. Go buy Sodium Hydroxide at a chemical dealer in beads or flakes and mix it with Sodium Hypochlorite and you'll have a good basic concrete cleaner. Don't spend more money just so you can say the word "commercial"....... big deal. Clean is clean,..and saving is saving!!

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I priced the commercial products, and they didn't compare to the cost from Wal-Mart. And no one sees what I'm using, I dump it into 5 gallon fuel jugs. I go with what works and then cost and also availability. Commercial products are alot of times just the same damn thing as box store stuff, just packaged different and usually more expensive. Go buy Sodium Hydroxide at a chemical dealer in beads or flakes and mix it with Sodium Hypochlorite and you'll have a good basic concrete cleaner. Don't spend more money just so you can say the word "commercial"....... big deal. Clean is clean,..and saving is saving!!

Jeff

Are you kidding me? Can you pump spray the castrol stuff on gutters the rinse with a garden hose? I can with Gutter gernade!

Yes Kory, you certainly can, although I don't use the customers' garden hose to do my work. Have you ever tried Castrol Super Clean?............................ I didn't think so, so unless you have tried it don't come here saying that it doesn't work as well as over priced so called commercial products that are continually being watered down to cut THEIR costs!!

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

I've got to agree with Jeff... the box stores do have some kick-butt stuff if you add it into your arsenal the right way. Add Westley's Bleche Wite (for tires) to your Hypo instead of other stuff & watch how nicely the combination of sodium metasilicate, butyl, and alcohol go to work. I add it on top of Simple Cherry for a seriously charged up house wash mix (great on aluminum siding). The alcohol in the mixture makes it act like a dulled down, but still working version of "Apple Cider." It makes a great gutter cleaner, too. I've got F-13 and the potassium hydroxide works really well (I sometimes to the "Wild Cherry" thing suggested by pressuretek & it works on gutters that aren't horrible)... but sometimes some of that paint needs to come off to really get them looking good.

Edited by Gutter Squad
Added thoughts