Sign in to follow this  
the_GUNN_man

Lake water on brick

Question

It has been awhile since I have been to the forums.

I have a house that is using lake water to water the lawn. It is leaving a white film where the water hits the brick on the house and the front walls near the driveway. Nothing I have used so far will take it off. I look up stuff up on the Prosoco site and it say they have Hard Water Mineral Remover. I was thinking of using that. It has HC and HF acid in it. I know the HF acid is nasty to use. The problem being is that I call a brick company and they said that it cannot ship UPS or FEDEX because it is so hazardous. It has to ship by freight.

Is there anything else that can be used to get this off? It is pretty thick and been building up for years. The price of this cleaner is $167 for 5 gallons with another $130 to ship it. The money isnt the problem because this home owner has very deep pockets and has said that all he cares about is getting it off there. I just dont want to have to charge the guy over $500 to go to his house for 20 minutes spray on that stuff it doesnt work and say sorry. I will lose his business for other work I do for him.

Would using HF acid used for fleets work the same? Would it be wise to use a couple ounces of that in a small area (1' x 1') and see if that makes a difference? If it does, order the stuff for $300 or maybe just use the HF to wash the wall and back of garage. This guy has been asking me for a few years if I have found anything to take it off and I tell him no.

One more question. I have about a gallon of old HF acid in a container from 5 years ago. Would that even still be good/effective?

3 answers to this question

I agree! Im pretty new to the pw biz but I've used Safe Restore from Eacochem on a lot of different things and it hasn't failed me yet!