Sign in to follow this  
ProjectEarth

Siding gone to the birds?!

Question

I just bid/got a job to wash a vinyl siding house. One side in particular (the shade side) is COVERED with bird droppings. Any special cleaner I should be aware of to use in this situation? Its a two story house and the one side is just layered with Gosh knows how many seasons of it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh yeah, siding color is a light blue (if it matters)

-JC

5 answers to this question

Be aware that the droppings will most likely contain ammonia and can create toxic gasses when mixed with bleach. I would think warm water would be sufficient to remove the bulk of it followed by a mild degreasing agent to remove the residual film. I wouldn't guarantee that there will be no stains once it is cleaned; the berries birds eat contain pigments that can stain the siding if left long enough. Should make for some fantasic before/after pics, though!!

Ryan H.

I second what Ryan said. By the time you rinse and clean everything down, you should be ok to spray a mild bleach solution on the house to disinfect it.

One other thing, bird droppings can contain viruses and other nasties. Best to wear a respirator and protective gear when washing. Better safe than sorry.

I 2nd the respirator.

Bird droppings can also contain Histoplasmosis(sp?). Almost 2/3 of the people in the south are carriers and most are never affected in a negative way, but when you are it is no fun. You breathe "the bad stuff" in.

If it affects you, it is usually your lungs or even rarer in an eye (the retina), like me. I see my retina Doctor every six - eight weeks and he billed right at $10,000 last year treating my eye for "presumed ocular histoplasmosis".

So wear your respirator!

Chuck

Cleaner Times Magazine

Chuck,

I read the article in Cleaner Times about cleaning bird droppings and abatement. Previous to reading the article, I had not thought about the histoplasmosis threat and didn't wear a respirator. Now I do.

Anybody who isn't getting Cleaner Times should be. I learned enough from that article alone to justify the cost of the whole annual subscribtion.

Please pass on my thanks to whoever researched and provided that information. It might have saved my health.

Not bad for a newbie.. The top floor (3 story house) was worse, but it all came out well. Thanks for the tips on the respirator. You shoulda seen the piles on the ground. Nasty stuff. I bid the job right, but in the future I would have bid higher just for the health risk and overall time involved for the one side of the building.

-JC