Sign in to follow this  
PressureX

Hardie Plank again, major problem! :(

Question

Ok, so we started on that house with Hardi Plank siding, as suggested, I used the same mix as I did with vinyl. 1 gallon 12%, half a gallon of allbrite, and 3 1/2 gallons of water.

Well, here is the outcome of one side:

It seems to be very light color in some places, and hace very light red spots everywhere. It does come off when scrubbed really good, but I was wondering if there is anything else I could try?

Thanks. What does it look like to yall?

post-3785-137772210022_thumb.jpg

post-3785-137772210033_thumb.jpg

19 answers to this question

So i just went back to re-evalute the situation when its dry. It seems like it "faded" and left transparent light red marks as seen in the picture above.

So I went and found out what paint those houses have, and found out that it is Sherwin William Exterior Latex paint.

Any suggestions? I'd really hate to re-paint his house, afterall, we have done nothing different then we would for a normal vinyl house, and this has never happened.

Ok, so we started on that house with Hardi Plank siding, as suggested, I used the same mix as I did with vinyl. 1 gallon 12%, half a gallon of allbrite, and 3 1/2 gallons of water.

Well, here is the outcome of one side:

It seems to be very light color in some places, and hace very light red spots everywhere. It does come off when scrubbed really good, but I was wondering if there is anything else I could try?

Thanks. What does it look like to yall?

Looks like paint is oxidized....If so not much you can do....try putting a spray on wax.....looks like it is painting time but not your fault,,,always test a spot before taking job

The red is from water and soap getting under the siding and reacting to the ink on the weather wrap or something else under the siding.

In our experence the fading is from to much bleach on the paint. Next time tune it down a bit.

Have you tried rinsing it really, really well. When its wet can you brush off the marks. Try brushing it if you can, I know its a pain in the arse but better than a repaint unless you want insurance to take care it.

What did the H/O say about just curious.

Well, I told him that this has never happened, and it looks like oxidation in the paint. The thing however is that the home is only 2 years old. I don't see how we used too much bleach. 1 gallon of bleach, 0.5 gallons of allbrite and 3.5 gallons water.... Same as we always use. Now I'm not 10000% sure if some faded or if that's the actual color.

Scrubbing it, it came of slightly, not 10000% but better if not scrubbed at all.

It is oxidation.

I don't think you can bleach paint that was applied 2 years ago and is an exterior paint,but I've never tried it but I have gotten roof mix on a painted dormer and never had an issue and roof mix SHOULD be way stronger than anything your spraying siding with.

In two years it shouldn't have oxidized that much,unless the paint was sprayed to thin.

If you check the side of the house that doesn't get much sun and it is oxidized than I would say cheap paint.Rub your hand on the dry siding and see if it comes off in a chalk.

Jc gave good advice. I rub my hands on all my exterior cleaning projects if its powdery I explain it to the customer. Remember the oxidation is not your fault, not explaining to the customer is.

Thanks for all the help. I did notice that the paint could be basically scratched off chalky.

Jeff, butyl based cleaners or oxalic won't damage the paint or siding?

Thanks for all the help. I did notice that the paint could be basically scratched off chalky.

Jeff, butyl based cleaners or oxalic won't damage the paint or siding?

Not if used at proper dilution rates. If you're not familiar with butyl based just be very cautious. Start with a mix of 1 qt. of something like Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power to 3 qts. water, that shouldn't hurt anything and by looking at the pictures I'd say you're not gonna hurt anything at an even stronger percentage. Test spots. I use oxalic mixed at 1 cup per 5 gallons of water, that won't hurt that siding, but still do a test spot. Butyl based is often used for removing oxidation, just learn to use it.

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

Not if used at proper dilution rates. If you're not familiar with butyl based just be very cautious. Start with a mix of 1 qt. of something like Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power to 3 qts. water, that shouldn't hurt anything and by looking at the pictures I'd say you're not gonna hurt anything at an even stronger percentage. Test spots. I use oxalic mixed at 1 cup per 5 gallons of water, that won't hurt that siding, but still do a test spot. Butyl based is often used for removing oxidation, just learn to use it.

Jeff

Jeff,

I enlarged Pat's pictures and it looks like the red stains are actually something that is running down from underneath the laps in the siding. That leads me to think Richard has a good point...the stains may be coming from the house wash solution getting under the siding and dissolving the ink writing on the weather wrap. I can see how this could happen. I saw a new house under construction the other day where they were putting up the weather wrap. The wrap had the local lumber yard's name printed all over it in bold red letters like some kind of big billboard.

So if this is ink on the hardie board I was wondering if Melamine might work on it? Since you put me onto Melamine I am a believer in it now and keep a supply in my truck at all times.

So I tried the AllBrite (Butyl Degreaser) as you said jeff, (should I try to find some Purple Power/Castrol Super Clean) it didn't do anything but foam just a little bit and was a bit slippery, but other than that, nothing.

Now to what Len said about the Weather Wrap. That could be a possibly since I have also noticed just earlier that also the foundation (brick part under the vinyl) has red streaks on it now, which leads me to believe no oxidation, but more like solution went behind the siding and basically washed away the color on the weather wrap.

But why does Solution get behind the siding? Leads me to believe that the Hardie Plank isn;t installed correctly. I found this little exerpt:

An independent investigation of dozens of homes in Houston, Texas, which were fitted with Hardi Plank siding, found that at least 90% of them were improperly installed. In many of these cases, the warranty on the materials was likely voided.

Given, that comes from a Siding Company website, but there still has to be some truth behind it.

I really dont know what to try anymore. Wouldn't the Melamine not only get rid of the red streak, but also the actual paint of the house?

Edited by PressureX

[

I really don't know what to try anymore. Wouldn't the Melamine not only get rid of the red streak, but also the actual paint of the house?]

Pat,

I don't know what the Melamine will do on the ink stains, but I don't think it would do any harm to the paint. Our Black Lab (PITA) has a favorite air conditioner vent he likes to lie on when he comes in from outside. You should see how dirty he gets the base board and the wall he leans against while he is cooling off over this vent. Anyway, we use the Melamine to clean the base board and wall with no harm to the paint at all.

I agree with the others saying it's coming from under the siding. Too much water pressure forcing water under the siding. Almost impossible to not do when your trying to rinse really well but still. I'd try to wash it again with light pressure with house wash recipie again, (with bleach), just enough to get it wet and dwell some. Hopfully the soap / bleach solution will break, lift, fade the red. Light rinse down, then wax additive rinse to bring out some deeper color luster of the painted board. Test first though.

I'm really surprised the butyl based didn't cut it. Butyl strong enough will remove good paint, I figured if the ink ran from your house wash mix, then the butyl should have cut it,....at least I would have thought. Try a SMALL test spot with some Castrol Super Clean from Wal-Mart. Just put some on a sponge full strength and go at a spot with light pressure. Shouldn't hurt the good paint but just be careful.

Jeff

Jeff, I have also bought "Super Cleaner" from ACE Hardware. It's not Castrol though, sprayed that on directly and scrubbed a little bit, what it did was actuallyget rid of some paint of the house (thank god I did a test spot on a part where nobody ever sees it, lol) the paint is still there, it just "smeared".

I got it confirmed now its coming from under the siding (the red).

Thanks for all the help, Ill try to find Castrol Super Clean, never seen it before, walmart should have it?

Ill also try a normal house wash again. Something has GOT to work.

Castrol will probably also liquefy the paint that's on the siding. Don't understand why if the house mix and/or water would make the red ink run,...then why is it sticking to the surface of the siding so bad? When you did your test spot I assume then that the red color came off as well? Maybe the paint you seen smear was oxidation, if so it may not hurt to remove a layer of oxidation to get back down to a better quality surface and remove the red in doing so.

Jeff

Well the weird thing was, the red didnt come off (neither did the paint all the way) it just kind of faded it out.

It seems like the red "sunk" into the original paint, which all in all im totally confused about. It has got to come from under the siding though, since I looked, and wherever it was 100% closed (from one siding to another) there are no streaks, but if there is just a little bit of a gap/hole, there is red. It also smeared on the foundation (brick part under all the siding).

I dont understand either why the red isn't coming off.

Same subject, different question though. Can I be held liable for this? Seeing that apparently the siding wasn't installed correctly (water has NEVER got behind a siding, plus I dont use pressure, well, I do, but it is very very weak almost like gardon hose weak, not quiet).

Edited by PressureX

Try some gutter grenade from pressuretek. Just don't mix too strong, or dwell too long. Of course test an inconspicuous place first. Use a soft brush to apply it, dwell, and agitate it a bit. Good luck.

P.S. You can certainly be held liable without a disclaimer or such in writing.

Edited by weaselcossey

Well we have a Service Agreement on our site that is posted publicly for everybody to read. I always tell customers to read it since they will be bound to it. It does state:

2. This warranty does not apply to any damages caused by factors beyond the control of Pressure-X Power Washing , such as:

- Existing structural or other defects or products or work not supplied by Pressure-X Power Washing .