Sign in to follow this  
buc21jrs3

Quick Stucco Rust Remedy?

Question

I'm in FL at my in-laws and I noticed that a few nails in their exterior have caused rust drip stains on their light blue stucco. I dont have access to a pressure washer or the time to order any chemicals that need to be shipped. Can anyone suggest a quick fix for the rust removal that can be purchased from a hone supply store that wont fade the stucco? Thanks

13 answers to this question

I was thnking the oxalic also but I am concerned with fading the stucco. Can this be diluted enough to avoid the fading issue? I am not experienced with stucco work. Thanks

I'm not sure if you can. I have gone as far as 5oz per gal and it still faded it. Also, you won't notice the fading until the stucco is completely dry. I had to blend the fade with more applications with shorter and shorter dwell times, so the eye couldn't catch it. I have one coming up and the company that was responsible for removing the rust before me has just about faded a nice, light gray color to almost white. Other colors that I have seen fading with OX: green, pink, yellow and khaki. The best thing to do is test, explain to the HO what to expect, and if they still want it done, charge good because each time you see how much blending you need to do, you have to wait till the stucco is completely dry, and that can take a very long time in the shade.

James,

You would have to spot test the

stucco,but

I would suggest CLR.

Thanks to a tip from the

board,I

used it on a similar

issue,and

it worked great.

Granted ,I don't run across much

stucco,so

again spot

test,and

rinse.

You may not even need a pressure

washer,a

hose may meet your need.

James,

You would have to spot test the stucco,but I would suggest CLR.

Thanks to a tip from the board,I used it on a similar issue,and it worked great.

Granted ,I don't run across much stucco,so again spot test,and rinse.

You may not even need a pressure washer,a hose may meet your need.

Yea like that other problem, the clr may work. Is a combination of chems in there with glycolic acid. Main thing is that most anything that will work will have an acid and may lighten things to point of a problem. So yup.. test carefully.

Do realize that often times stucco gets painted and often times the same strength or advices may not be applicable. In fact I think the figure I posted/relayed one time stated something like 60% of stucco across the country gets painted.

Good advice Don! I went to ACE and picked up some CLR (next to the "R" on the front it says safe for Stucco) and tried it. I did a 50/50 mix and tried it on a non-noticeable spot. I used a spray bottle and let it sit for 2 minutes then used a soft brush followed by a thorough spray from the garden hose. The newer stains vanished but the older rust stains ( > 1yr) only lightened up. Oh well, it looks much better and it was a good, quick fix for the in-laws. Thanks again everyone for the advice!