Sign in to follow this  
deltadart

Need advice on cleaning white vinyl siding.

Bought a house 2 years ago with 8 year old white woodgrain vinyl siding. The siding was dirty so I wash it with Murphys soap and water. On the east and south side I noticed the siding had a light brown "tint" to it(mostly in the woodgrain grooves)that would not come off.

I have tried Simple Green,bleach,gasoline,Tech,and many other cleaners and nothing will cut it except laquer thinner or clear PVC cleaner. Even then it's hard to take off but at least those 2 did break it down. Now I hear to stay away from those 2 but I was just trying to find anything that would at least cut it.

I will gladly hire a pro but will they have something that can indeed clean it? I'm thinking since it's only on the east and west side it must be something that's in the air and has settled on the siding. Anyone ran into this kind of problem? Thanks!

I haven't tried any of the box store products yet. I like to use oxalic at .50 per gal. for irrigation rust, But I don't think Deltadart can find any. So if $11 is the best price out there go get it. I also heard that Super Iron Out is the best to remove rust from metal.

If it is sulfur rust from the sprinkler system Ox or Rust-aid will do just fine to remove it. A little in a pump sprayer and your good to go. Lowes or HD. Aprox $8.00 per gal. You can dilute it but I wouldn't put too much water. Hope this helps.

It's funny that irrigation water is mentioned. At first when I read that I thought that's not it but to tell you the truth the previous owner installed a sprinkler system in the front yard only. In the 2 years we have lived here I have not used it. Do you think theres a good chance that over the years using the sprinkler system could have caused this?