Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

A wood restoration of sorts

Question

Here is a picture of shop of my friend's shop. He does boat canvas, signs, and truck lettering work. His place was really bad looking - so I decided to help him 'spruce' it up. But we decided not to be finicky about it. I went over as a first pass with my turbo nozzle to remove as much paint as possible - then I used a pump up sprayer and mixed efc-38 at 8 ozs./gallon to clean up the wood - then low pressure rinsed.

My next goal was to abandon all my knowledge of oil based primers and such - and totally go over to the 'dark' side with newer technology products. This particular primer is an elastomeric waterbourne primer - has absolutely no pigment in it - you can add up to 4 ozs. per gallon. It has the property that it goes on thick 10-20 mils, fills in all the irregularities, tons of mildewcides, tons of rust prevention - and has a 'stretch' factor of 1500%. These photos show that I used one gallon of this primer tinted yellow and the last photo showing the right part of the building of the same primer but tinted white. This stuff costs $70/gallon and is totally space age.

post-1720-137772214008_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772214051_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772214092_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

And here is a pic of the place with one coat of exterior trim paint - and one coat of latex solid stain - less than one gallon covered that whole front - that's how great this primer is.

What I am really proud about the project is that I did absolutely no scraping, no grinding, no sanding - and by embracing newer methods and newer products - the finished product came out as good as anything as I have done before with less than 1/4th the normal work involved. And the filling aspect of this primer really allowed the topcoat to be spread a great distance and maintain coverage.

post-1720-137772214134_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of shop of my friend's shop. He does boat canvas, signs, and truck lettering work. His place was really bad looking - so I decided to help him 'spruce' it up. But we decided not to be finicky about it. I went over as a first pass with my turbo nozzle to remove as much paint as possible - then I used a pump up sprayer and mixed efc-38 at 8 ozs./gallon to clean up the wood - then low pressure rinsed.

My next goal was to abandon all my knowledge of oil based primers and such - and totally go over to the 'dark' side with newer technology products. This particular primer is an elastomeric waterbourne primer - has absolutely no pigment in it - you can add up to 4 ozs. per gallon. It has the property that it goes on thick 10-20 mils, fills in all the irregularities, tons of mildewcides, tons of rust prevention - and has a 'stretch' factor of 1500%. These photos show that I used one gallon of this primer tinted yellow and the last photo showing the right part of the building of the same primer but tinted white. This stuff costs $70/gallon and is totally space age.

Dan, Who makes it?

Matt - I sent you a very lengthy pm - but I bet you can appreciate this - I didn't 'neutralize' after washing with efc-38. It finishes dang close to neutral anyways - and this being a waterbourne finish is tolerant of surface ph's of up to 11. So no need to be extra careful as if putting on an oil based finish.