Sign in to follow this  
Rob T

Pool apron paint

Question

I got a job today cleaning a pool apron that has heat-reflective paint on it. I'm afraid to use a surface cleaner for fear that I'll tear it up. It's been on there for about 12 years (since the house was built). I'm thinking about just applying hydrochlorite/surfactant and rinsing it off, then cleaning the brick with my wand.

Suggestions?

post-4234-137772219863_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Its a kool deck paint that is used on pool decks. They need to be re-painted every few years or so. if its been in there for 12 yrs and left in that condition I'm positive it is time to re-due it. Of course it's definetly gonna need cleaning first. Alot of the ones we do down here are like that. the paint coating keeps ya feet cool in the summer but it does wear out.

Ah.. ya both got me fooled.. pic shows a painted surface or kool deck?..Well I better get out of here. Looks like dirty moldy crete from here.

ps- well it does look like some thin coating of something under the dirt..

Edited by MMI Enterprises

I'm with Kevin - that just looks nasty. We resurface & seal concrete all the time and that just looks nasty. We certainly wouldn't be worrying about removing any coating - in fact, probably need to try if there is one there.

Celeste

Larry, you said 'kool deck paint'?.. Thought that stuff to be a full on heavy mil type product maybe applied by trowel or such and that it would be integral colored.

I always thought it more textured than what the pic shows. Here is link to Kool deck stuff: Mortex Concrete Decking Products, Keystone Kool Deck

Many of the kool deck surfaces seem to wear down after time in high traffic areas and from mold and mildew stains and lose their color and become faded or dull. Many of the decks I do have already at one time or another been repainted with a kool deck paint to either restore them to the original color or to change the color completely. Some of them that I do are just nasty and need a good cleaning but others do need to be resurfaced or painted. I do agree that the picture above is somewhat questionable as far as what is benieth all of the dirt and mold but more than likely I'm sure it will need to be re-painted which would be a cheaper alterative than a total resurfacing.

Swimming Pool Paints and Kool Deck Coatings