Sign in to follow this  
ls1cameric

Newbie + new fence

Question

Hey all, I have never worked with treating or finishing wood but I would like to learn. I live on a pretty large corner and just recently had a new fence installed with treated cedar pickets. I really dont like the look of them and want to get into decka nd fence refinishing so what better way to get some experience than by doing it on my own fence right? Half of them are partially covered with green mold and so I'd like to know what would be the best technique for me to clean the pickets and then coat them with a light stain finish so they look nice.

I know that I need to use low pressure and cold water but what about chemicals? How long do i let a certain chem set on the wood? Do i rense the wood first before applying and chems? ect.. ect..

Thansk for the tips and advice, Eric.

2 answers to this question

Hey all, I have never worked with treating or finishing wood but I would like to learn. I live on a pretty large corner and just recently had a new fence installed with treated cedar pickets. I really dont like the look of them and want to get into decka nd fence refinishing so what better way to get some experience than by doing it on my own fence right? Half of them are partially covered with green mold and so I'd like to know what would be the best technique for me to clean the pickets and then coat them with a light stain finish so they look nice.

I know that I need to use low pressure and cold water but what about chemicals? How long do i let a certain chem set on the wood? Do i rense the wood first before applying and chems? ect.. ect..

Thansk for the tips and advice, Eric.

You recently had a new fence installed and it already has mold? How recently?