Sign in to follow this  
anthony szabo

Think Spring for 2009 New Customers

Question

I thought I would share something with everyone that has worked well for our Pressure Washing Business over the past so so many years.

The Fall is a time when I hit the advertising, but mainly our direct mail pieces hard. We send out about 4,000 to 6,000 flyer's to our mailing list customers and current and past customers. We now as of this date have enough work until winter time and we need no more business at this time.

The reason is to over book our schedule and explain to our customers calling now for bids there is a slight chance we may need to wait until next year before we can schedule work. But do not do this until you meet the customer first hand and give them the bid and have them except the bid, then brake the news to them.

I tell the customer with us being busy now and the weather to soon be changing, spring might be a better time to get started and that way they can start the spring off with a nice stain job that they can enjoy all summer.

This has worked well for us over the years. We now have our first month book now for 2009. Its a bit of a gamble and a small investment but that is what business owners do.

Hope all helps

Tony

3 answers to this question

I just bid on 2 large jobs today that I recomended they wait for April due to the large scale of the work. I may loose them but the fact is I can't fit them in any way so I was honest with them about my schedule. I have room left in my season for a few smaller jobs but I like to be done by mid Oct. Seems like the last 5 yrs I have been doing this.. selling work for the next season in advance. It helps wondering about the start of next season when you have a few jobs booked already! good business practice my friend

Jeff

I started doing this about 5years ago and now its a great snow ball effect that has built over those 5years and keeps our schedule full all the time.

Please keep in mind different areas of our great Country effects this entire theory.

true, oh so true . not everyone has the same weather and socio-economic conditions. For me, i love the GAME of customer relations and selling a service I believe in. The last thing I want to do is try and work in cool or cold weather . I like to make my $ while its warm and shut it down until next season.