Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

Behr Solid.....eeek!!!

Question

I did a little bit of a rescue job for a customer yesterday. He called me the night before saying that the contractor who was going to stain his fence never showed up and he (customer) wanted to get it done and could I schedule time to do it. Sure. He told me it was Behr stain that is required by HOA for fences (very high end neighborhood). Get out there and it's a BEHR SOLID LATEX FENCE STAIN! Eeeek! I went ahead and did it anyway. Why they call it a stain, I don't know. It's a freekin' paint! I found out very quick that a sureflow is useless for this stuff (pretty sure it's trashed). I ended up using a truck brush to apply it (scrap one truck brush too). The customer was happy and couldn't say enough about how he appreciated my attitude toward the whole thing, which was a nice thing to hear. Also, his wife is on the HOA council.

Here's the question. This is a large (I mean really big) high end housing community with an unbelievable amount of wood fences. I'm sure airless is the only way to go with this stuff. Even though I'm not doing back flips over the product, they're the customer and what they want they get. What is the best airless to use for this stuff ? I've never used an airless, what do I need to know and/or watch out for? Can I run this solid latex stuff and my normal Bakers through it as long as I clean it properly between uses? Is there a one stop web page that I can read up on airless's?

Thanks as always. Thanks God the summer heat is pretty much over with.

1 answer to this question

I am in Texas and have a customer that I am sure is about to call me and ask me to do the same thing. What is up with HOA's requiring Behr Stain? They also limit it to 3 colors. I am quite nervous about this and going to exclude my normal warranty if I even agree to do it. Crafton-Hill Wood & Masonry Seal-San Antonio, Texas