Sign in to follow this  
Palmetto Home and Deck

Wouldn't you know it...

Question

I think I have a way to end the drought in the Upstate of South Carolina. Last Wednesday I stripped a deck in Greenville (about 28 miles from me) which is one of the few areas near Clemson that is not under mandatory water restrictions.

Keep in mind that throughout the entire upstate no more than a light sprinkle of rain has fallen in the past thirty days or more so the odds of stripping a deck and getting it stained without a rain delay looked very good. I was scheduled to stain the deck last Friday, but wouldn’t you know it…rained moved in. It rained on the deck most of the day on Friday all the way through Saturday morning.

Yesterday the forecast predicted a 0% chance of rain most of the week so I schedule the deck staining for this Tuesday. Just before I was going to pull out this morning to drive over to Greenville to stain the deck, I turned on the morning news and found out that 1.25 inches of rain fell in Greenville last night. (where did that come from?) I called the home owner and she confirmed that it poured rain last night on the deck.

Funny thing is, all this time we have not had any rain at all in Clemson. I think Clemson should let me wash a bunch of decks asap. I’m convinced that if I had a bunch of decks to stain here that the drought could be over in no time.

Oh well, no deck staining today so I guess I’ll go work on that boat dock where I have to deck over one of the boat slips on. With the lake being so low I can do the work standing on the ground now.

5 answers to this question

Len, it's always great to read a post where the contractor finds the silver lining :) When you get too slow there, take a ride up here - we need you!

Celeste

Its nice to feel needed! If you still need me in about a month I might just take you up that.

Would I need to bring my rig or my carpenter's belt?

:island::island:Figures,,LOL....But at least youve got work to snivle about not getting too....:lgsad::arg:

Hi Randall,

Yea, I always try to keep something lined up to fall back on. The only thing I was whining about this morning was I had loaded the truck up with deck staining stuff Monday evening so I could leave out early Tuesday morning. When I found out the deck was too wet to stain. I had to unload everything and reload up with my carpentry gear.

I think I am going to buy two more enclosed trailers and have one for deck staining etc and equip the other one with my saws and other carpentry tools in it. That way I can just hook up the one with the tools needed or the day and go.

Rain? Hasn't rained here in the Bay Area since last March, and that was just 1/100th of an inch! Planning on staining a Braz. Mahagony tommorow and, for the first time this summer, RAIN is foretasted! Im not complaining, I know we're lucky out here...