Sign in to follow this  
ls1cameric

Which stain and sealer to use?

Question

I just received all my equipment that I purchased from Bob at Pressure Tek and want to get my fet wet by refinishing the wood planks on my trailer to practice. I bought a new trailer but they spray painted the wood planks black and half-assed it so it 's all blotchy and uneven. I also want to seal and stain it so that it holds up against water best as possible since it will be used as my rig trailer.

I have already purchased wood brightener and stripper from pressure tek but would like to know what stain and sealer I should try as well.

Do they make stains that can just be sprayed and left on?

I've stained furniture before and you have to remove the excess stain or its more like paint and thats a messy hastle.

I know its a long shot but would someone be so kind to explain in detail how to correctly achieve my goal from start to finish?

Should I wet the wood before applying the stripper first? How long do i let it work into the wood before I wash it with low pressure? Do I need to let the wood dry before I apply the brightener? How long do I let it stay on the wood before I rinse? Do I apply the stain before the seal? Does the wood need to be completely dry before applying stain??? and so on until I am finished.

I know I'm asking a lot but its my first attempt at wood restoring so want to make sure I do it correctly and dont miss any steps.

thanks a million!

5 answers to this question

Well I went ahead and purchased some Supreme Performance stain/sealer from Tracy at Sunbright to try on my trailer. He exaplained how I should use it after I prep the wood for it but my main concerns are how long do i let the f-18 stripper dwell on the wood before i rinse it? Should I even use the wood brightener? if so, how long do I let that dwell?

As I don't get to check these boards all the time, never hesitate to call me with any questions (or e-mail me direct - tracy@sunbritesupply.com) I'm happy to help as best I can. Hope that works as well for you as I expect it will. This board is great for help, but those kind of tech questions are not a problem to be asked. No question is dumb, and although I can get busy at times, they are never a bother either. Your distributors are your teammates. Don't be afraid to"put them in" coach! Happy pressure washing!:lgjump:

You will find all your questions readily answered if you utilize the search function my friend. Your questions have been asked and answered many, MANY times on this board, hence, the lack of input. You'll find that you may receive many more responses when it (at least appears) that you have first done a bit of research by using the search button..... happy reading!