Sign in to follow this  
Laura

What Pressure Washer Should I Buy?

I was in the power washing business for about 5 years and sold my business 2 years ago. Now I'm looking to buy a portable pressure washer for my own personal use only. I'm looking for some suggestions on the minimum requirements I should be looking for.

I plan on using it a few times a year to clean my concrete, patio furniture, fence and siding . . . no major projects. I'm looking to spend about $500 and I'm not sure what to go with. I see so many ads for portables at Home Depot, Lowes and Sears. If I was still in the business, I would never even consider these as options, but they should serve my purposes well. However, I don't want to waste my money on something that will spray like a garden hose. I know I could hire a pro with good equipment, but I actually enjoy doing it myself and I'm looking forward to playing around my house this summer.

When I was in the business, I only bought the best quality equipment possible . . . I had a 3500 psi, 20 hp, 5.3 gpm hot water Alkota . . . now that is no longer necessary for my purposes.

Thanks!

NorthStar 2.5 GPM at 2600 PSI Pressure Washer

• Dependable 5 HP Honda GC160 engine
  • Direct drive Comet axial pump with stainless steel plungers
  • Big 10in. pneumatic tires
  • 25–ft. gray non–marking quick–couple steel–braided hose

A popular and economical choice designed for home use. Includes thermal protection. High–quality Comet pump made of brass and stainless steel has easy start. Comes with professional quick–couple 25° high–pressure spray nozzle and detergent nozzle, downstream chemical injector and low profile pull up handle. 2–year limited warranty.

]In Stock

Ship Wt. 77.0 lbs

Item# 1577541

Discount Price... $399.99

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&productId=200241224&categoryId=210207there you go laura...4 or 5 times a year should last you for awhile......cheers paul.

Depends upon what you want to do with it. If it's just going to be a few times per year, there is no need to worry about buying a heavy duty unit (by heavy duty, I mean built to run for long periods of time everyday). I think one of the home depot type units would be fine for around the house use. You can look for them at other places (Northern, Sears, Sams, etc.), but they are all going to be equivalent when looking at the range you need. Everyone says that higher GPM is better than higher PSI, and from my experience I am inclined to agree. You will most likely find a 3 - 3.5 gpm machine with a 3000 PSI pump. As for the motor, the power is what gives you the combination of pressure and flowrate, so you will get whatever unit comes with these specs. My parents used a 2600 psi machine for around the house. It was fine for siding (vinyl) and the patio, but was useless on the driveway (unless you want to spend the entire day cleaning it). Also, be aware that if your house is two (or more) stories, you will not be able to clean from the ground with the equipment that comes with the unit (it will lack extension wands), so you will need a ladder. Using a pressure wand while on a ladder is generally a bad idea, but if you have someone supporting the bottom of the ladder and you are using this type of machine (low flowrate, low pressure), realistically you *should* be okay. I think you should look for a unit that comes with a wand that you can swap out the tips. Some have adjustable tips, but these have too many limitations. Long story short, it *is* possible to wash your property with a cheaper machine like I've described (home depot unit), it just takes time.

Sorry if I seem scattered....just writing as things come.

Hope this helps.

Ryan H.