Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

Shuttle Valve for diaphragm pump

Question

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with plumbing in a shuttle valve on an air diaphragm pump. A shuttle valve keeps the pump from stalling between starting and stopping the flow of fluid. I understand the way it works,( I think)

But the third port has me a little confused. Tried to find a schematic online, but no luck. Thanks!

Shuttle Valve

Jeff

Edited by 814jeffw

3 answers to this question

Am not yet familair with the idea or need for this valve on an air diaphragm pump. I was under impression that it is perfectly fine for a stall in that pressure is trapped and the air pump part just bypasses to open air. Think we need info on if there is some sort of issue with wear or lapse of pressure, flow, or overall efficiency without this shuttle valve installed?

One of my little Wildens may have this directly built in or taking place of the air pumps main inlet block. I don't use that perticular pump yet as it has a built in proportioning system and just haven't the need yet to mess with it. The air inlet does look different compared to a stock pump though and may be this exact same thing. Have to dig it out and get a better look...

ps- But then again I don't see how this could be applicable on the air inlet. Would seem to me only useful as being the same thing as the bypass I mentioned above. Regardless, wouldn't the chambers have to stop working due to the design of these pumps?

pps- I don't think this valve meant to do anything for stalled pump. Here's the additional info for that valve:

Shuttle Valves

Act as a special check while connecting two different inputs so that only one output is on at a time.

Check ball moves away from inlet port with the greatest pressure (10 psi minimum to effect shuttle change).

Edited by MMI Enterprises

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate your input. Just confirms what some of the other fellas' have been saying. May just need oiled as a few others have said.

Jeff