Sign in to follow this  
Scott Paul

One Year Old TWP Stain

Question

Here is a picture of TWP that I put on my deck in April 2008. I flipped back the rug that has been on the deck for the entire year to show the dfference. Besides the wood being a little dirty on the outside parts, there is no difference and zero color fading.

post-948-137772238682_thumb.jpg

26 answers to this question

I picked up an extremely large PT deck about 10-18 years old (different sections) been done 5-6 times with TWP 200 California Cedar. Wood is remarkably great shape presumably a testament to someone actually religiously using a good oil over the lifespan of the structure. Little to no cracking, wood is smooth as sanded wood.

It is not what I would consider dried out lumber by any means. I mistakenly originally thought the deck was done in the old 500 series but now that I have the scenario of using the 200 series on a deck with so many existing coats (I will be lightly stripping the floor to remove the buildup) is there any need to thin down the product for petter penetration? Given Scotts experience with the extended drying time combined with this particular deck that doesn't appear visually to be particularly porous and is limited to sun exposure I'm worried about the risk of a 5-7 day dry time.

Edited by bigchaz