Sign in to follow this  
svp07

M-5 X-Jet Spray Pattern

Question

I used my M-5 X-jet this weekend and did the side of my house just to see how the housewash mix would work; I am new to the biz. While inject my mix I noticed that the X-jet does not shoot as far than when not injecting chems. Anyone know the reason for this or have the same problem? It will shoot about 50 ft with no chems but as soon as you drop the intake in the mix range drop to about half.

Thanks for the help/responses,

Steve

4 answers to this question

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I think it has to do with the transition from laminar (smooth) flow of water in your hose to a turbulent flow. When nothing is connected to your downstreamer port (chemical hose), you have some air entering the port, but the density difference between the air and water is so small it doesn't affect the flow of water, so the water gets a nice jet and a [much] farther distance.

Introducing another liquid stream (your chemical) into your water stream disturbs the flow of your high pressure stream and causes some turbulence. There is also an energy drop because you are mixing a slow moving stream with a fast moving stream and some of the kinetic energy of the fast stream (from your pump) is lost, resulting in a lower exit velocity and a stream that doesn't travel as far. This is a pain in the butt when you have to get to those high places.

Paul B., any insight on this? You seem to be up on this kind of stuff.

Ryan H.

There should be some drop in range (due to turbulent flow) but 50% seems fairly drastic. I would say 10-20% would be more realistic.

Check to make sure the fittings on the chemical feed side are all tight including the one going into the M5.

What size feed line is on the M5 (1/4" ID or 3/8" ID)

3/8"ID should work better.

If everything fails, talk to the folks you purchased the X-Jet from as it's always a possibility that a part is bad or blocked, etc.

You should get easily 35-40 ft out of the x-jet while shooting the chems. Make sure you have the nozzle opened all the way. When you look at the tip there is two metal flaps. They should be open to reach high places. They should be closed (touching each other) for a close range fog pattern. The only time I need the nozzle opened all the way is on the sides with the high roof peaks. The front and back of the house I can still reach the second story gutters on the full fog pattern.

Thanks for the replies,

I have the 3/8 chem line and had thought about the fast and slow liquids combining would effect the range. It just seemed a little short, Oh yeah I also had add a foam agent to the mix...another possible reason. I am going to inject just water and have someone else pull the trigger to check the distance again.

Nozzle tip is fine, looks as it should.

Thanks for the help.

Steve