Sign in to follow this  
a68cudas

stripping olympic over thompson ?

Question

Hello

Have to look at deck this afternoon owner says he put thompsons on few years back and had some guy last year put olympic on. said that he didnt know if the old thompsons was stripped off or if olympic was put right on over top. Says the rail and spindles are holding up but that was failing bad on deck itself. I bought some HD80 but havent tried yet have any of you used this product on decks that had multiple layers of stain and sealer on and how well does it work? My other question is what types of sealer do you all recommend using instead of crappy thompsons? As for the stain i like using cabots have had good results with their stain which is far more better than olympic. Ill take pics if i can remember to take camera with.

2 answers to this question

Well forgot camera as i was running late. Deck is 3 teer 35x35 a 14x 10 and a 12x10 ugly red solid olympic stain. Have no idea why some people pick some god awfull colors to stain with.... done test spot with mild batch of hd80 mix and stripped it with no problems. taking estimate back out tomorrow and dropping it off.

Well forgot camera as i was running late. Deck is 3 teer 35x35 a 14x 10 and a 12x10 ugly red solid olympic stain. Have no idea why some people pick some god awfull colors to stain with.... done test spot with mild batch of hd80 mix and stripped it with no problems, hit it with citric brightner after to neutralize...taking estimate back out tomorrow and dropping it off.