Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Superdeck?

Question

6 answers to this question

Thanks Robert. I have another question.

I'm going to be using the Red Cedar on two decks (neighbors, one sold the other, I love that). Anyway, on one of the decks I'm going to be doing is a two-tone. Unlike the common two-tone this will not be white against the semi-trans Red Cedar. They want to make the verts match the trim on the house which is more of a Coastal Grey (darkgreen-grey) that Superdeck offers. Here's my dilemma; The customer saw my color chart and noticed the Coastal Grey and wanted it (not knowing the differance between a semi and a solid). For 3 reasons, I don't want to use 2 transparents. 1) Contrast, I don't think it will look good up against another stain. 2)The possibility of bleed 3) Tape will not stick and it will be a technical hell.

What solid can someone recommend (I've heard Cabbots is good) to where it is a very good product and I can get the color I want? As far as I know Superdeck (Kwals) does not offer a solid. Thanks!

Gav

Cuprinol, or now it is deckscapes, from sherwin williams may be able to mix the color you want. I have had great results with their brilliant white.

Reed

Thanks Reed,

The Red Cedar turned out really nice. The color is pretty amazing. Depending on how the light hits it, it looks red at one angle and gold at another. Really easy application, easy clean up. I'll post some pics soon. The customer really loved it.

As far as the two-tone; I ended up talking the customer into the natural Cedar against a Navahoe White (which matches the house, not the trim) by Cuprinol. I'll be finishing up on Monday so I'll post some pics of this one too.

Funny, when I first started up last year I knew there where at least 150 different directions I could go in with this business. At that time I decided that I would see what kinds of calls came in and I would let the market dictate my "specialty", if you will, with minimal direction. Kind of let the business steer me the first year. I have been working with wood and building decks and homes for a long time now so I've always had a love for that kind of work. As the calls have started coming in I've taken what's come in and done a little of everything this year. I've gotten quite a few calls for deck restoration. As I've been learning I found that I really like the work. Suddenly, I know at least one area I want to focus my business in. Funny because a year ago I thought I'd be doing auto detailing with this business. And a lot of house washing. Haven't gotten one call for a "house wash" and auto detailing takes WAY too much elbow grease! Weird.

Anyway, just thinking outloud.

I'm currently doing a job with extra white solid deckscapes from sherwin Williams. There are 36 five by ten decks stacked three high = 12 sets. We apply mostly by brush and the undersides by airless spray. Two coats is a minimum with this deckscape product on cedar at least. Sometimes some tanin still bleeds through brown, and another coat is needed. They reformulated the Cuprinol when they changed it to deckscapes somewhat I think, because the Cuprinol was slightly thicker and didn't bleed through as easily.

The story on these decks is the contracter put alkaloid white paint on them. They are peeling terribly because most of the paint will not stick on cedar, so we have to knock off all of the paint we can with a PW, scrape, sand and restain with multiple coats all of them. What a pain in the butt. Just my experience with the new Deckscapes.

Well, I ended up using the Navahoe White (color of the siding) by Deckscapes. Boy does that cover well. Very easy to work with. This was my first two tone and it took quite a bit longer than I thought it was going to. With a helper it took about 11 hours to do a 336 sq ft deck with railing all the way around. The prep time is what killed me. I ended up underestimating this one by a couple hundred bucks. My normal price is about 1.50 sq ft for a strip, brighten & seal (which will be going up to 1.65 now). For this two tone I charged 2.15 per sq ft. I figure I should have charged about 3.00 a square instead. The Red Cedar by Superdeck (Kwal's) turned out really nice against the Navahoe White. Both customers (neighbors) went with the Red Cedar and RAVED non-stop about the color. I too was very impressed with it!

I have to say, the two-tone is a pain in the rear but the results are awesome! The nice thing is, this guy is the only one in his high-end neighborhood that has a two-tone, so hopefully we will sell some more from his.

I'll post some pics tomorrow after I go back to put a 2nd on the floor and take up the tape. Thanks for everyone's advice! Very appreciated!