Sign in to follow this  
TNTPW

Great Story

Question

The very for estimate I gave when I started this about 6 or 7 months ago was for a deck. I have learned a lot since then. Well i gave my price and told them the steps I would take to perform the job. At this time they had a lot of people all over there house because they were remodeling the whole house. So i gave my estimate and went on my way. I called her back 3 times. I always call back three times to kinda keep the issue at hand. Well they never responded. I just got a call from the Husband. He said he hired oen of the guys that was working on his house to do it. Now get this, It was 1064 sqft. The guy told him that he would charge him 50 bucks labor and the owner pay for materials. I thought just like he did. GREAT DEAL. Well this guy brough a 3000 psi cold water maching out there and put it on pencil and just went to work on the deck at 3000 psi. He wrote his name in it and other stuff in the wood. Then decided that it was to much work and that he was not going to do it anymore and just walked off the job. The owner called me and I told him that it would be close to double the price that i had orginally quoted him because now i have to fix someones mistakes and start from square one. He quickly said what ever it takes just fix my deck my wife is about to kill me. Wife wanted to hire me and the husband hired someone else. So i guess what i want to say is do not worry about people with cheaper prices than you. If someone wants your service they will pay for what they get. BOTTOM LINE. I will take pictures of it when i get a chance.

4 answers to this question

Hey Travis,

Great Story!!

I love hearing stupid stories like this when people try to save money.

In the past 3 weeks I saw two different idiots power washing.

One was using a turbo tip on a pt deck and scarred the hell out of it.

Another was pw alluminum siding with an electric 2500 psi pw (no chemicals) he got about 2-3 inches away from the siding to make sure he did a good job and it took him 9 hours to do the job. He removed the oxidation, mildew and some of the paint from the siding for a bargain price of 375. This was on a duplex townhouse so he only had 2 sides to do...LOL

I guess it pays for homeowners to wait for a few estimates, I would have done the job for 175 and done it properly I guess they just didn't want to wait the extra day or so for me to look at the job. Now they have to wait for a painter and a lawyer.

Henry, yea it was pretty funny when i went back. Thsi guy wrote his name in the wood with a few other 4 letter words and all kinds of stuff. I have tripled the price and now the guy excepted the offer.

The othere day i was on the island here and i saw a man and a woman power washing a tile roof. So i decided to go over and see what company it was. Well it was not company. It ws jsut some side people. The crazy thing was that they had the pressure washer on the roof with them. (3 story house) They built this huge deck up there to put this power washer on. It was crazy to watch. But i watch adn stayed till they came down and went over and gave them a card of mine and said next time they want to see someone do it right give me a call. By the way, they got 250 bucks for that job. You would havenever got me on a three story house for 250 bucks. People these days. That is what keeps me going, lol.

Hey Travis,

Great Story!!

I love hearing stupid stories like this when people try to save money.

In the past 3 weeks I saw two different idiots power washing.

One was using a turbo tip on a pt deck and scarred the hell out of it.

Another was pw alluminum siding with an electric 2500 psi pw (no chemicals) he got about 2-3 inches away from the siding to make sure he did a good job and it took him 9 hours to do the job. He removed the oxidation, mildew and some of the paint from the siding for a bargain price of 375. This was on a duplex townhouse so he only had 2 sides to do...LOL

I guess it pays for homeowners to wait for a few estimates, I would have done the job for 175 and done it properly I guess they just didn't want to wait the extra day or so for me to look at the job. Now they have to wait for a painter and a lawyer.

Henry,

You mean you cant survive on 41 bucks an hour?:rolleyes: Just because you may net only 50 cents an hour after all the expenses' I thought that was good money:stupid:

I was at an apartment complex the other day and saw a company thats always in there doing apartment make readies. Well the were power washing using Home Depot chems. They were blasting away on some vinyl siding and the asphalt roof. I started to laugh because when they were done there was pieces of siding and roof on the ground.