Sign in to follow this  
814jeffw

General 3045 Leaking Oil?

I have a General 3045 pump. I bought it brand new just this past Spring.

I've used General pumps forever it seems, and this is the first one that has ever leaked oil. I've had them an average of 2-3 years,...never any oil leaks,.. and this one is only about 4 months old and is leaking oil pretty bad. Used it last on Saturday and will be taking it off today to see if I can at least locate the source of the leak. My questions:

Is there any known defects in any of the recently sold General pumps?

What's the most like source of the oil leak? (Maybe hard to say I know)

Thanks,

Jeff

That pump should be under warranty. Call the people you purchased it form and have them get an RGA from General to send it back and let them repair it.

If you have trouble obtaining help just call 1-800-346-4876 and we will do it for you. Whoever you talk to at our location just tell them I said it will be okay.

Thanks John. I wondered about the warranty. I would like to just fix it myself if I could. I use to have a backup but just recently sold it to a friend of mine because I figured I wouldn't need a backup this soon,..ha,ha!! Bought it from PressureTek and I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue,...just didn't want the down time. Maybe I will just buy another one and have this one sent back and repaired and have it as a backup.

Lesson learned on backups.

Jeff

There is a rubber seal around the crankshaft that looks to be leaking. The one on the engine side. Looks like the bolt plate will come off with removing four bolts.

Question: Is this a simple replacement or are there specil tools needed for this work?

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks John, very much appreciated!! I have orderd one and will plan on replacing it myself. Just wasn't sure what else I would end up seeing when I disassembled it.

Jeff