Sign in to follow this  
sturgisjr

Hot Tub Restoration

Question

I have a customer who wants her deck cleaned and there is a hot tub located at the center of one section of her deck. Its a wood exterior model that has turned grey in most parts. I wanted to know if anyone here has restored the appearance of hot tubs. If so, how and what were your results? It will be sealed the same color as the deck...or will you recommend a better solution?

Also, what do you do to protect the vinyl cover and the interior from getting contamination from chemicals?

To add, a lot of the decks around here are wrapped around pools and wanted to know in advance what you would do to prevent wood chips and chemicals from going into the pool. I did one deck recently and was annoyed by the fact that I had to clean up all the wood chips that were at the bottom of the pool. The reason for the many wood chips was due to it being terribly weathered wood with grand canyon cracks and loose and split wood. I used very low pressure.

Thanks,

Brian

1 answer to this question

Wash and prepare the hot tub the same way you do the rest of the deck. Leave the top on and closed. Keep constantly rinsing the top during the wash process. Use very low pressure, and the weakest stripper mix you can, because the wood is easy to fur up. I brush and roll hot tubs, so it's easy to stain them without making a mess. I've not had a problem with them.