Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Being cheap gets you through the door?

I had this experience today where I cleaned this woman's gutters last year twice and washed her deck. And she called me back for her gutters in the past week. I knew her and didn't charge much initially - it was an easy $150 job and I only billed $95 this time. Well I get there - and I see this red van in her driveway, very similar to my next door neighbor's paint contractor that is painting her garage and shop building.

I looked inside of the van, and it was a painters van - and lo and behold later find out when I collect the check that he is doing a whole interior repaint. And to boot she sort of scolded me that I only charged her $75 last year. Can you believe it?

So there you go - you give customers a favor and they will keep expecting it. And if you think doing the cheap driveway wash will upsell bigger and better things. Well - this woman knows I am a painting contractor even discussed with me last year the potential of bidding some painting - and guess what I didn't even get asked to bid.

And the painter has a nice van, but no lettering, New Hampshire license plates and no they're not commercial either. Cheap begets cheap.

Oh well, the way I see it - deal from a position of power - find ways to fill my schedule and if it's hard to squeeze this woman in next year - I will be oops sorry, can't do your gutters for less than $150. Kill 'em with kindness. LOL - you should have seen her squirm as I was looking how the furniture in every room was clustered into the middle - and I was like looks like you are moving - she just dodged the issue as we were both inhaling cheap latex paint fumes. People, LOL.