Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Last deck of the season

Question

Here are some photos I took the other day of a deck I finished up 3 weeks ago. It was a nightmare strip - two coats of Cabots SPF. I applied F-18 at 12 oz. per gallon and applied via pump-up 3 consecutive times, nada. Then I put HD-80 full strength with added butyl and surfactant and applied twice - and that finally got the stuff off. And not that it really ever dissolved it either, it was coming off like saran wrap - it was disgusting.

I must have rinsed this deck 11 times, as the amount of 'soap' I applied was horrific and the wood just wouldn't give up the suds for the longest time. Finally neutralized and packed up for the day. When I returned, this deck looked like the backside of a wooly mammoth it was so furred up. So Must have run my floor sander 5-6 times with 60 grit before I gave up and just stained it - even belt sanded a bunch of the steps.

Finally just did two wet-on-wet coats of A.C Cedar Toner. Not my best work, but then again the customer is ultra happy - she just hated that failing SPF stain.

post-1720-137772289319_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772289389_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772289468_thumb.jpg

1 answer to this question