Sign in to follow this  
eric

butyl based detergents

Question

There is a local manf. that makes a butyl basd detergent. I am thinking of mixing this with clorox outdoor bleach ( Rod's suggestion). The manf said his soap has teh buffers and oxidezers that will not cause a bad reaction when mixed w/ bleach. What should I look for on his msds to verify this can be used in conjunction w/ bleach.

What does ph stand for. I know if it measures acidity. Lastly, what other suggestions do you have for this standard house wash. Maybe a little dish detergent for suds or what?

thanks

2 answers to this question

Down south is a bit vague for a location, be that as it may...

The butyl based cleaners and sodium hypochlorite that I buy are fine when mixed. The downside is that you didn't mention a specific supplier or product so I can't say for certain if this is the correct answer for your application.

I can say that my house wash blend is excellent and provides me with many repeat customers and referrals.

Cujo

Here is the scientific explaination of pH:

pH is a unit of measure which describes the degree of acidity or alkalinity of a solution. It is measured on a scale of 0 to 14. The term pH is derived from "p", the mathematical symbol of the negative logarithm, and "H", the chemical symbol of Hydrogen. The formal definition of pH is the negative logarithm of the Hydrogen ion activity.

pH provides the needed quantitative information by expressing the degree of the activity of an acid or base in terms of hydrogen ion activity.

The pH value of a substance is directly related to the ratio of the hydrogen ion [H+] and the hydroxyl ion [OH-] concentrations. If the H+ concentration is greater than OH-, the material is acidic; i.e., the pH value is less than 7. If the OH- concentration is greater than H+, the material is basic, with a pH value greater than 7. If equal amounts of H+ and OH- ions are present, the material is neutral, with a pH of 7. Acids and bases have free hydrogen and hydroxyl ions, respectively. Since the relationship between hydrogen ions and hydroxyl ions in a given solution is constant for a given set of conditions, either one can be determined by knowing the other. Thus, pH is a measurement of both acidity and alkalinity, even though by definition it is a selective measurement of hydrogen ion activity. Since pH is a logarithmic function, a change of one pH unit represents a ten-fold change in hydrogen ion concentration.

As for combining bleach and butyl based detergent: You should not have any problems. I would however consider liquid pool shock vs. outdoor bleach as it is stronger in concentration and should be less expensive.

Test your detergent first and see what sudsing you get. If you don't feel it's enough, you can add liquid dish detergent.