Sign in to follow this  
rambo

just curious

Question

hey guys,

i have a 2 story wood sided barn job that has a 3-4 yr old oil based finish on the exterior siding surface. The owner said that when he applied the stain, it took 2 coats since the wood was really porous. I'm planning on applying 1 or 2 coats of acrylic solid ( Cabot) over the existing stain. I'm just curious...what would you do in this situation.

also, what do you normally charge for exterior siding(powerwashing, cleaning, painting) per sq ft?

I appreciate all your comments greatly!

5 answers to this question

I have heard no less than .75 a square foot and up to 1.25 complete, but I'll wait for some wood siding professionals to pipe in because I am interested as well, I stick to decks and vinyl.

Some factors come into play. Will you need a lift or need to rent scaffolding to complete the job. Will you need to do ladder work. Are you going to strip the old stain or just clean and brighten before you apply the new stain. How many coats of stain will you need to apply. All of these factors will come into play in your bidding process. Just some food for thought.

Herb Hewlett

Herb's Pressure Washing

Rambo,

Ideally, since it was already cleaned and sealed with an oil base finish, this is what you should stay with. The best coating for wood is oils that penetrate and fill the wood pores. I would lightly clean and recoat with a maintenance coat, provided it isn't too far gone. Why are you considering using an acrylic solid? Also, when coating previously coated wood I believe they recommend using the Problem Solver Primer. In regards to pricing, it depends on what you are doing. Are you cleaning only or stripping? What type of surface prep is involved? What are the height factors? What type of finish or coating. I will tell you that to apply a solid correctly the prices of $.75-$1.25/sq.ft. are on the low side.

hey guys,

the barn is 16' tall w/ (2) 30x16 sides and (2) 25x16 sides...i have cut out extra sq footage due to windows and tapering of the roof on the sides.

the siding has an red old, weathered, faded oil semi-solid applied. i can take off most of it easily with a powerwasher w/ no chems..rub the wood siding and color comes off too..

the owner wants a light gray color matching his house siding

i will probably powerwash off the siding until no stain comes off and apply the acrylic.

I'll be using ladders to apply 1 or 2 coats depending on my clients wishes.

Cabot's The Finish is an acrylic base, specially formulated for wood siding, that they claim does not require a prime coat, can go over prev stained surfaces and requires 1 coat. Their line of oil based semi-solid's and semi-trans require the old finish completely removed.

let me know of what you think

thanks again for your help,

rambo