Sign in to follow this  
gawashman

How to approach homeowners?

Question

I was driving around various subdivisions targeting those with vinyl sided homes. It was obvious that most of the homes both single and two storey levels had their north face covered with thick mold and mildew. Just really terrible looking. I inserted my postcard in their newspaper slot below the mailbox. Unfortunately, some neighborhoods had metal boxes where you cannot place a card anywhere. These neighborhoods have two storeys homes (about 2000 sq.ft.) with the entire north wall covered in mold and mildew. Outside of mailing my cards to these homes, how can one tap into cleaning these vinyl cladded subdivisions? These homes have not been cleaned in sometime...I was able to post a yard sign at the entrance of one of the subdivisions since January but have not received any calls yet? I thought about doing a demo on the weekend but not sure if washing a 2000 sq.ft + size home for free is a viable option.

14 answers to this question

A good high quality door hanger ( like vista print) has worked well for me. I would just recommend not wasting your time on the really dirty ones. Some people just don't care what their house looks like and no amount of marketing will change their mind. Also, remember marketing is more of a "drip-drip" than a big splash! Door hang, and then hit the neighborhood again in a week with another round of door hangers. Think about how much adversting stuff you get. Sometime we really have to inundate the customer to call attention to ourselves. I attached a couple of examples of the doorhangers I use ( printed from VistaPrint) and have had great success with them!

2nd door hanger..pdf

door hanger samp .pdf

Edited by sweetwaterfish

A good high quality door hanger ( like vista print) has worked well for me. I would just recommend not wasting your time on the really dirty ones. Some people just don't care what their house looks like and no amount of marketing will change their mind. Also, remember marketing is more of a "drip-drip" than a big splash! Door hang, and then hit the neighborhood again in a week with another round of door hangers. Think about how much adversting stuff you get. Sometime we really have to inundate the customer to call attention to ourselves. I attached a couple of examples of the doorhangers I use ( printed from VistaPrint) and have had great success with them!

---------------

I used VistaPrint for my postcards and trifold...I am going to print some door hangers and do the same...Thanks for the input.

You could also try a form of proximity marketing. When you finish a house, why not place 10 or so door hangers, post cards, business cards or whatever on their neighbors doors? Maybe five on each side. I've picked up a few homes this way. Another way is to ask for referrals. Even offer "cash back" for new accounts they refer.

Andy, how far south do you travel/work?

You could also try a form of proximity marketing. When you finish a house, why not place 10 or so door hangers, post cards, business cards or whatever on their neighbors doors? Maybe five on each side. I've picked up a few homes this way. Another way is to ask for referrals. Even offer "cash back" for new accounts they refer.

Andy, how far south do you travel/work?

------------------------------

I have done some of these after working on a house, where I would place some of my brochures at nearby homes. I am designing door hangers and plan to also use them for specific marketing. I stay within a 50 mile radius unless there is a specific request by a property owner who agrees to the requested work with an added travel charge. Don't get me wrong, I am willing to go wherever the job takes me as long as it is profitable.

One thing I've noticed is that homeowners tend to keep the glossy, high quality marketing pieces much longer than you'd expect. A :nice: door hanger" stick around, while a black & white flier, or flimsy, poorly made piece gets tossed in the trash. I routinely get call on my door hangers a month after I've put them out.

One thing I've noticed is that homeowners tend to keep the glossy, high quality marketing pieces much longer than you'd expect. A :nice: door hanger" stick around, while a black & white flier, or flimsy, poorly made piece gets tossed in the trash. I routinely get call on my door hangers a month after I've put them out.

------------------------------------

I am getting some the glossy door hangers post-5194-137772309548_thumb.jpg

printed at VistaPrint...I printed some trifolds last year. Got some pretty good feedback and work from them!

post-5194-13777230954_thumb.jpg

I don't think the door hangers work well here in FL. I put out 200, got 1 call which turned into 1 sale for a $160 tiny patio. Maybe that's not enough to base my conclusion?!?! It took a long time to pass out 200 fliers! Incidentally the guy called me 2 months after I put out the door hangers...

I don't think the door hangers work well here in FL. I put out 200, got 1 call which turned into 1 sale for a $160 tiny patio. Maybe that's not enough to base my conclusion?!?! It took a long time to pass out 200 fliers! Incidentally the guy called me 2 months after I put out the door hangers...

----------------

Wow...Amazing...Some had some success while others have not...:)