Sign in to follow this  
Suncoast Cleaning

Pricing Help (again)

Question

It appears that I'm not ever going to get to quote on cleaning a complete house. There are some townhouses that need a quote, but only for the gables and second floor which are vinal siding. The first floor is brick and looks good (except for a few small areas). Going with standard pricing of $1 per lf for a single story and $2 per lf for a two story isn't going to work. What do you guys think? I know vinal is easy to clean and I do have any x-jet so it can be done from the ground, but I really need the work and don't want to lowball it or blow myself out of water either.

5 answers to this question

It is not that no one wants to help you so much as your asking the same question many others asked over the years.

Do two things, at the top click SEARCH, in the little window that opens type

House washing and it will take you to tons of Q & A.

Then do it again under House cleaning.

Then if you still feel you have not found your answers come back here and hope someone has replied to your post.

Not trying to discourage you but help you by using the SEARCH engine built into most BBS.

It appears that I'm not ever going to get to quote on cleaning a complete house. There are some townhouses that need a quote, but only for the gables and second floor which are vinal siding. The first floor is brick and looks good (except for a few small areas). Going with standard pricing of $1 per lf for a single story and $2 per lf for a two story isn't going to work. What do you guys think? I know vinal is easy to clean and I do have any x-jet so it can be done from the ground, but I really need the work and don't want to lowball it or blow myself out of water either.

I might be wrong but I do believe the idea that was given to you was $1/lft/floor it shouldn't be $2/lft unless you are cleaning both floors. Try $1/lft for the second if that is all you have to clean. If you use the X-jet that should be a fair price since there isn't any ladder work involved. It will cut your bids in half but you will prbably get a lot more work. Remember to offer window cleaning if they tell you that they want their siding cleaned only. Tell them you will clean the second story windows (I hope you have a ladder)for a small charge. I do 2nd floor windows for $8/piece regardless of size up to 8lf or more, then they cost $10 or $11 depending on what part of my area I am working in. I do first floor windows for $5/each and $7 or $8/each for large windows, since I don't have any ladder work. It only takes maybe 3 minutes to setup clean and move the ladder to the next window, so it works out well since most of the time people would like their windows clean on the second floor since they have no way to get to them normally. I like to keep it under $1/lf but not far under. $.97 and $.99 have been proven to be deal getter prices, just under a buck. That's why cars are sold for $18,999.00 instead of $19,000. It's a phsychologicl sales point. It also doesn't cut much into profit though $.97/lf compared to $1.00/lft. $1.00 every 33ft, no biggie, but then you sell them on window-washing, because they think they are getting some sort of deal on the siding work. (My fiance is majoring in psychology and she just took a psychology of advertising class, where they discuss what makes the consumer think they are getting a deal.) I'm not a used car salesman though I'm not trying to rip them off it's just a selling point I have found that works quite well.

Keep in mind that if only the second floor need to be done as you say, you still will be cleaning the 1st floor. All your soap that you spray on the second floor will run down to the first. Right now it looks clean but afterwards it may look streaked. I would clean everything to make sure you get a nice job done.

Also establish a minimum price that you will do work for.

In some instances the square footage or linear footage to be cleaned ends up below your minimum then you round it up to your minimum.

When the customer calls, screen them by asking questions and you may tell them that you have a minimum charge. This way you are not wasting your time on estimating jobs that customers are not willing to pay the price.

If the minimum charge is more than what they want to pay, ask if there are other things that they need cleaned (concrete, windows, etc.) to make it worthwhile for both parties.